Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suby ... but just the heart

I just stumbled over this cool forum searching for information for my latest project. And i have to say ... the amount of knowledge accumulated here is simply stunning!

Allow myself to introduce ... myself :)

I am a huge fan of old VW's - as far as the car goes - not the engines.

For this reason i have both my cars with Subaru transplants. I own a 1966 Beetle which currently features an EA71 and a 1973 311 Fastback with an EA81.

Both are a bit on the weak side for my taste, so we decided to change the EA81 into the Beetle and install a Weber 32-36 for good measures and to turbocharge another EA81 i just happened to get hold of.

Well, that's pretty much the story so far. I hope to find info about some minor bugs i'm facing, but i will open topics in the relevant sections as i go.

Greetings from sunny Athens

Boris

For anyone interrested, here is a link to the photoalbum i created during the build of the Bug. The engine is not specifically shown, but at some points i think you get the idea.

http://snowman.myphotoalbum.com/

I will try to find some time in the near future to create a thread just for the installation of the EA71 and the cooling system.

Thanks for your kind replies.

Greetings from sunny Athens,

Boris

OK - change of plan :)

I just got an offer for an EA81 with dual carbs :banana:.

Does anyone know if they are rare and what a good one would be worth?

This one (i think it has a tad over 100HP) will go into the Bug. The EA81 Turbo will replace the N/A EA81 in the Fastback ...

Yeah - Upgrade :grin:

I just stumbled over this cool forum searching for information for my latest project. And i have to say ... the amount of knowledge accumulated here is simply stunning!

Welcome Boris. Funny thing is, just when we think we (USMB) knows all there is to know about these old cars, someone comes along with new stuff we didn't know.

Your swaps sound awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
Here it is !!!! Just got it today.

http://img571.imageshack.us/g/12768089293.jpg/

Any info would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the bad pictures ... phone cam and sorta dirty lens :)

Im very jealous. Ive been looking for one of those for a couple of years now. What you have is the dual carb motor that was found in the RX in the early 80s. Instead of the standard 73/4 horsepower it had in the 105-108 hp range from the factory with the big changes being in the heads and cam. The heads had reversed valves so intake valves were on the inside and exhaust valves were on the outside. It also had a reversed cam to correspond to this. Very nice find and yes they are fairly rare at this point. Most have been used up in aviation or long ago in the original cars. Here are some pictures of the RXs that im speaking of. Oh and if you ever run accross another one of those and want to ship the heads and cam....PM me please!!

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/fun/projectrudy/rudy.html

• 2 months later...

OK - here's a short update.

The dual carb engine is in the Beetle now ... and it's a BEAST compared to the EA71 i used to have.

Unfortunately after just a few miles water started to spray out of the exhaust pipe ... yep - you guessed correctly. Blown headgaskets. So, out came the engine again, heads reworked, new gaskets, put together again ... and totally blew away a "quick" VW Golf.

This is the way the Beetle was meant to drive. Power at any time, more than my 205/60-15 tires can handle (at least in first and second gear).

On the downside ... my alternator died on me last night, luckily just a couple of miles from home and i managed to cast home with all lights switched off :)

So, the engine is absolutely GREAT. I'm not sure though how long the gearbox will put up with the extra power.

Ooh I'm so excited to see other VW lovers on here! I have a friend with an 87 vanagon that is planning on doing a subaru swap at some point. And we have a collection of old (mid 80's thru early 90's) VWs.

Obviously I still think my subie is the BEST ...because it turns on when I want it to, and runs, and doesn't have all sorts of insane electrical issues... but those VWs definitely have that little something that makes them awesome.

...sorry to get off topic here, I just got excited. :)

Well, i have actually been getting some "heat" from the hardcore VDubbers over here for converting to watercooled.

I've been through several aircooled engines over the years and they had the tendency to leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere. It could be my driving style though :lol:

But for me nothing compares to the EA. It's simple, strong, reliable and after taking a couple of friends for a ride, i have already pulled 2 beetle owners over to the dark side. One is putting in an EA81 and the other just purchased a EJ22.

That's all for now, folks. Thks for reading and putting up with my very untechnical post.