Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tall shocks for honda springs

soobscript

I use the Honda springs in the rear for lift. I started out with new Loyale-spec shocks, but the springs keep them extended too far (like preload?). Both shocks were blown after a few hours of wheeling.

I need a shock that is taller than stock with L-series-compatible top, bottom, and spring mounts. Any advice?

This is something I am trying to tackle as well. I had some for the rear of a mid 80's audi coupe, they had a couple inches more travel, but were not heavy duty enough for my liking. Not enough dampening. What my next goal to try is some fronts off a IFS toyota 4x4, they appear to have the correct configuration, but I haven't had the opportunity to my hands on some yet to take any measurements. I had the same preload problem you did with the honda springs, to the point that I took them of the same day I put them on. I only had like 1/2" "uptravel" in the back of my car. My opinion is they are way to stiff. While browsing the yard of picknpull I've been checkin out all the coils I can. The next ones I'm lookin to pickup are from the rear of a mid 90's honda accord wagon. They "appear" to be longer, and have progressive coils, which may be helpful in the soob. I haven't had a chance to snag any yet, but I am hopeful to try them out.

• 2 weeks later...
You are wanting late 90s toyota 4-runner shocks. I think you will need to drill the #12hole to #10. That said the shock you want is KYB brand part #341232

Search from there to find the best price/brand. Good luck, happy to help.

Having trouble finding KYB #341232 - maybe it is discontinued.

KYB has something for 96-02 4-Runners that looks correct in pictures. #564002 Monomax, and #KG9025 Gas-A-Just.

I'm going to order a pair from RockAuto and see how they work out.

Any more info on the drilling? Which hole(s)? On shock or car? Just drilling, no tapping?

I bought KYB Monomax #564002 for 96-02 Toyota 4-Runners.

Looks like a good fit with a couple extra inches height.

Full info in a couple weeks after I get back from a vacation in the dunes.

Problem: the bottom mounting thru shock/bushing is too big on the new one.

New hole is about 1/2", stock bolt/hole is about 7/16". Too much space.

I need a sleeve or spacer or perfect axle bolt. Tomorrow morning.

Tractor Supply Company and the local ACE didn't have anything that would work. All too big or too small and mostly in 1/4" increments.

Going to try NAPA and a couple more hardware stores tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Material to wrap around the bolt to make a spacer?