Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 swap.... HELP!!!

82_SOOBY

:banana:Hey everyone i just went and picked up a '90 legacy wagon. its got of course 2.2, 5 speed/AWD and im going to be conducting a swap, damn near everything on that wagon into my '82 sooby brat and just wanting to ask if there is any helpful tips i can get before i break or do something wrong which im not looking to do. I thank u 4 your time and well PLEASE HELP!!!!:banana:

Since I haven't done it myself yet, I can't offer any specific tips other that to read and re-read Numbchux's write up version 2.0 (link is on the last page of the thread).

and a request: Please take LOTS of pics! I must have missouri somewhere in my bloodline cause I am definitely a Show me kind of guy. LOL

Good Luck!

:banana:Hey everyone i just went and picked up a '90 legacy wagon. its got of course 2.2, 5 speed/AWD and im going to be conducting a swap, damn near everything on that wagon into my '82 sooby brat and just wanting to ask if there is any helpful tips i can get before i break or do something wrong which im not looking to do. I thank u 4 your time and well PLEASE HELP!!!!:banana:

When you're taking out the wiring harness, make sure to do it in the way that's in the writeup. The harness I got had been cut in order to remove, which made it a pain for ShawnW to strip down and fix. You're supposed to remove the fender instead. He ended up making it work perfectly in the end, though.

Before committing to using the AWD transmission, be sure that it's the best transmission (subject to price constraints, of course) for what you plan on doing with the car.

Jacob

+1 on the write up, if you can't do about 90% of the swap without supervision then its probably not the project for you.

Wiring will be the hardest part, study that and be sure you want to tackle it before you start.

Sound advice. that's what's holding me up at the moment. That and a bit of Indecision as to which project to tackle first. LOL

The wiring, if done by someone else and shipped to you isn't terribly bad, I would recommend pulling the harness, and having it cut down, and then with the engine still in the original car, try getting it running, after that its all pretty much easy.

• 2 weeks later...

alright thanks i hope i can get this project of mine good and done and right so i have no prblems with it and no problems will doin the swap cuz this will be my first swap and its into my 1st car/truck lol i want it done right but i idk thanks for the info. and (2manetoys) i will fur sure get alot of pics of it. thanks

alright thanks i hope i can get this project of mine good and done and right so i have no prblems with it and no problems will doin the swap cuz this will be my first swap and its into my 1st car/truck lol i want it done right but i idk thanks for the info. and (2manetoys) i will fur sure get alot of pics of it. thanks

Sweet! And LMK if you need any parts for your Brat as I found some older Brats & wagons they supposedly will work for body parts from the doors Forward.

let me know if you end up getting this to work. I have a 86 standard (same front end as your brat) and would love to have some sort of guide to look at if I ever swap in a ej22.

Dig a little deeper thru the forums here there are tons of people that have already done the swap and writeups on how to do it. PM me if you are having trouble with finding info.