Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECU failure is really rare, most 1980's Subaru's are running with their originals. This suggests two things to me:

Yours is probably fine. You might want to post your problems here and get some feedback. Theres more collective experience and knowledge here than any shop in the country.

And the good news is since they never fail that means buying new is a waste of money and used ones are dirt cheap, there's absolutely zero demand. Folks parting them out dont' even bother keeping them.

My car got flooded 2 weeks ago. The guy at the shop said the computer is underwater. I guess the shop isn't going to even make a move on it until my Insurance tells them to fix it or forget it because it might be totaled.

They said they changed the oil and filter and a few plugs just to see if it would start.

It did start but ran real rough. They don't want to go any further until the adjuster makes her mind up.

I hope it can be fixed I really liked that car.

If the shop does replace the computer how much does one cost does anyone know?

By the way it's at a Subaru Dealership

Thanks

Edited by PaulMidi
Wanted to add something

New $400-$600 depending on model

Used $20 (1-877-459-1415 has one for $19.95 if you want, but i wasn't sure which trans/engine you have since you didn't say)

They take about 20 minutes at the most to replace, all of three bolts or so. It's one of the dumbest parts of a Subaru to replace new, there's no justification for the cost at all.

My guess is they're going to total it, so you might as well start looking. ECM's for this car are going to be $500-$600+ just for the computer. Which is dumb since used ones cost $35....or less.

Personally I'd hope they total it - then buy it back. The insurance company hands you a check for $7,000 or whatever, then let's you buy the car back from them for pennies on the dollar -let's say $900. Then you get it fixed and you make a couple grand. Buy backs are really cheap because it saves them the logistics - paper work, transfers, towing, auction costs, etc which they won't get much for this car anyway. Cash in hand is good for them.

They also need to clean out the spark plug wells and wires. "some of the spark plugs"? Does it have a CEL - I bet it does. Someone else just washed their engine on this board a week or two ago and the car either ran rough or wouldn't start. They took the wires all out, dried everything out and all was good.

Of course if it's flooded bad enough mabye you should ditch it.