Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 nightmare

skipping all the problems when i bought the car. replaced alternator, battery, coil, wires, plugs, shocks, water pump.

i had to take off the right (drivers side, north america) timing belt to get at a water pump bolt. when i put the belt back on i was too lazy to check the timing marks. when i started the car the engine jumped around alot, i screamed in terror and turned it off. i calmed myself down, telling myself its a non-interference engine. so i aligned the timing and now it seems like half the engine isnt working. it still drives for some reason though it backfires alot in the intake in the low rpm range and seems like im down to about 30hp. on another note i replaced the spark plugs on that side to no effect. do i need to pull the head off?

--- it seems like im running on 5, 4 or even 3 pistons. theres no grinding sounds and its very quiet except for the backfiring which isnt very loud either. (sounds like popcorn in the microwave)

Edited by Turbone