Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How does the abs work on the 95 legacy. Is there a internal sensor because on the newer axles there is a tone ring and the signal is read from that. I want to increase my track width by using 02-03 wrx sedan control arms and axles if the axles will bolt up to the 96 outback auto trans that is swapped into my legacy. The problems are I don't know if the axles will bolt up an work with my trans and if my abs will work with the newer axles. I think subaru switched to the axles with the tone ring in 98. If anybody knows the answer to either problem please post up it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

tone rings changed around 2000 or 2002. before that time (whatever it is) the tone ring was part of the hub. after that the tone ring was pressed onto the axle.

i use 2002+ axles all the time on older stuff, the axles aren't any longer. i guess i'm missing something but doesn't seem like there's any width to gain.

otherwise, to your ABS question, it doesn't matter, swap them all day long. just make sure the axle matches the hub.

The wrx sedans are around 10mm to 12mm wider on each side compared to the wagons. Thats why they have the flares. At least that's what I got from everything that I've read. The other option for increasing the width is using the sti control arms but they are aluminum and cost way more and depending what year sti you would need to use the sti hubs since they are 5x114.3

the specs say the 2003 impreza wagon's front track is 57.7 /rear track 57.3

2003 impreza wrx sedan's front track is 58.5 /rear track 58.3

Could be due to larger offset wheels to accommodate wider tires on the WRX vs the plain Impreza?

Opposed forces does list different part numbers between control arms for WRX though so maybe they are wider?

Transmission end of the axles should be the same though I would think.