Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Odd noise after engine work (EA81)

Sounds like a quieter diesel now lol. I only hear it from idle to about 2k in first gear after that it sounds normal. It def quieted down when i tightened it down. I havent decided if i want to try tightening it down more. I might just leave it as is at your settings.

they worked for me and it took alot trial and error but that was the best I could come up with much tighter and the expansion of the rocker arms and push rods will take up the full gap when it heats up that being said the push rods when I worked out the metal growth at operating temp. it was .003 at 250 degrees and the rocker arms was .0027 at the same temp

they worked for me and it took alot trial and error but that was the best I could come up with much tighter and the expansion of the rocker arms and push rods will take up the full gap when it heats up that being said the push rods when I worked out the metal growth at operating temp. it was .003 at 250 degrees and the rocker arms was .0027 at the same temp

Then i think ill leave it as is. I dont wanna push it too tight and regret it.

like said every engine is different yours might need to be tighter but don't adjust them any tighter than the full expansion of the push rods and rocker arms which is around .006 +-.0005 at operating temp if you over tighten them you could burn you valves or valve seats