Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at '86 GL wagon with 188K miles? Being sold for $500

Hey all, new to the forum here, but I've read and learned so much already. Thank you.

My '97 legacy GT blew the head gasket finally and I'm searching for another soobie, but an older one... one I can work on myself and spend some time with. Not too much time though :)

Found an '86 GL Wagon with the AWD Hi and Lo and 188k miles on it. It was a mechanic son's car, they worked on it together, brought it back to life at 103k miles. Right now it needs a CV joint, A/C compressor and exhaust manifold gasket and bolt. I told the owner that I would like to work on the subaru myself to see what he would recommend I do and he said to start with the clutch since the engine is in good condition and then move to the head gaskets later on.

I'm going on a test drive tomorrow to see how I feel about her. Any advise as to what to look at? Rust for sure...

I only have $1000 to spend total for now and need to keep the repair costs low.

Thanks again for this forum and I hope to get a car soon! Kevin

Yes, I'll have to ask when that was last done and do a timing belt replacement... in addition to water pump and some idlers and so on I assume. I'm not very familiar with this engine yet.

I have a question about ease of working on these model subarus. This would be my first car that I would be working on myself as I would love to learn to do work myself rather than have my mechanic do the work, allthough he is great and gives me good deals. Is this a good or easy car to learn on? I have some experience, but not much. I like learning though and I feel confident about it.

I appreciate your respnses, thanks.

Also, How do I check to see that the tranny is in good condition? Is there a way to do that, he said the clutch needs replacing... but that could be tranny problems also right? Can you find replacement trannies on these older subarus? FL salvage yards do not have many if perhaps one of these...

Thanks

Approach this one carefully, if your budget is 1k and it needs a clutch, possible timing and cooling system parts your budget will be very tight. Might consider negotiating a better price based on what is and possibly needed to make this a dependable car.

That's what I was thinking... $300 and I'll take it :lol:

As for the AC compressor, I was looking on ebay and you can get one for $100 or less. The cv joint, $60 or so... clutch $150 to $200. It also need a rear tail light, $25. Gates timing belt kit, $125. Taking out the engine and overhauling it... priceless.

As for the price, first they wanted $800, then $700 and now since no one has bought it and they don't want to junk it, $500. It will sit there and ants will nest in it. I'm not sure what the reasonable price is for this, but perhaps they will let it go for cheaper instead of junking it... aspecially if it goes to a subie enthusiest.

We'll see, I'll post after taking a look today.

Thank you for your comments.

Edited by 86GLScooby
added some info...

.... one I can work on myself and spend some time with. Not too much time though :)Any older car takes time...once you figure these cars out then the cheaper they cost and quicker the repair.. it is a learning curve and it takes time and money... I hate learning curves but you found a great place to gather info...

Found an '86 GL Wagon with the AWD Hi and Lo and 188k miles on it. It was a mechanic son's car, they worked on it together, brought it back to life at 103k miles. Right now it needs a CV joint, you can do that, read up in "Search" A/C compressor take A/C belt off pully-fixed. To me a.c. is a luxury..but I live in a diff. climate, and exhaust manifold gasket and bolt. pain but doable I told the owner that I would like to work on the subaru myself you have to figure these cars out or it will eat your wallet, it just takes time learnings.. to see what he would recommend I do and he said to start with the clutch sounds like he knows the clutch is at the end of it's life... but that's what was said about mine and went another 2 years till car was passed on to family member & wrecked. since the engine is in good condition and then move to the head gaskets later on.

I'm going on a test drive tomorrow to see how I feel about her. Any advise as to what to look at? Rust for sure... If it pulls to one side.. I don't like that nor dangling electrical wires and things that don't function like blinkers, emergency flash, gauges...

I only have $1000 to spend total for now and need to keep the repair costs low. My first older subaru was $700, once I figure out how they ticked my next was $100. as I could fix those things that I couldn't when first starting. The best way to learn on these cars is not be 100% dependant on them, that is close enough to work to catch a ride, or bike or have a back up car while you work on the wagon as any first projects will take longer than you planned and parts sold to you were the wrong ones or x or x or x ...

Thanks again for this forum and I hope to get a car soon! Kevin

my .02 cents, your results may very... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments.

I was wondering what you mean by, "If it pulls to the side"? If the car pulls to the side? They say that all the electrical stuff works inside.

Also, the AC has been converted to the newer ones, sounds like i have to get the coolant drained before changing the compressor and then have it recharged. I don't usually use my ac thinking it saves on gas... so I don't mind driving around without it for a while. Winter will be here soon... but not soon enough living in FL.

I do have a second car... but it's still no fun getting stuck on the side of the road. For some reason I feel like taking on a project. Wonder if you can get AAA for these?

Okay, just got back from seeing the GL. The body is in good condition, allmost no rust, was a CA car and then FL car. It would have been nice to get it from the first owner, because it looks like the 2nd owner had a lot of fun with it...

The interior is rough, I don't mind cosmetics, but this was pretty bad. Guess that's normal for a car this age perhaps?

In my opion, definately not worth $1000 as advertised on the window... would make a good parts car though, but I'm not throwin down $500 for it.

Thanks for your comments.

I was wondering what you mean by, "If it pulls to the side"? It should go fairly straight down the road...

I do have a second car... but it's still no fun getting stuck on the side of the road. I have had new cars leave me on the side of the road, the difference is once you know these cars you can fix them...cheaply and not require getting them to a computer/shop. For some reason I feel like taking on a project. Then these are the cars for you..Wonder if you can get AAA for these? Yes, you can get AAA, [/quote]

In my opion, definately not worth $1000 as advertised on the window... would make a good parts car though, but I'm not throwin down $500 for it.

To refresh a quote from a USMB member,

"These cars are 25+ years olds, they should be paying US to take them away." if you don't like the $500. number.. offer him $200? or keep looking...

Yeah, I like that quote... When I first pulled up and saw the soobie it was awesome, opening up the hood it seemed something I would be able to take on and enjoy.

Perhaps it was the fresh smell of poison to kill the ants nesting in the car and the ripped up and worn down upholstery that was being a deterrent. The fact that they pulled out the CD player to save it, rather than letting it go with the car... perhaps they thought they might be able to get more for the player than the car. :lol:

I'm just teasing, but I wasn't able to take her for a test run :(

My opinion if you don't mind- I would say repair your 97 Legacy- the engine should be cheaper/easier to repair than anything in an old GL and the parts will be easier to find. I have had many GL (pre-90 subarus) and the older they are the harder they are to get stuff for... and, the newer stuff is actually a lot easier to repair and keep tuned- I have learned to love fuel injection and coil pack ignition (hate distributors) since it is all "self tuning"

thats just from my own experience though.. I have had a lot of EA82, EA81, and EJ22 powered cars, and I have also worked on EJ25, and other subaru engines as well, and I definately prefer working on the EJ vrs the EA cars..

anyway, good luck with whatever you end up finding for your next project- just dont forget to ask questions like this :)

• 2 weeks later...

Spend you're Thousand dollars on a good used 2.2 liter for your Outback.

rent an engine hoist.

install.

Done. Cheaper and 100x more reliable than a GL.

oh yeah........get the GL for $200 bucks and put the Dual Range trans into your outback:grin: