Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to read and reset "Check Engine" codes

Hello.

Please forgive me if this has been covered; I did some searches and didn't find anything particularly useful.

I want to read and reset the codes when my check engine light comes on. The reason is that there is a fuel sensor in my gas tank that occasionally sets off the check engine light. It's done this three times since 2004 and every time I've had to go to a shop to get the diagnosis. I'm not going to replace the whole gas tank for this intermittent problem which doesn't affect anything really.

I'm not sure what I need in terms of cables, laptop, and/or software. Is there a simple intro to this somewhere? I couldn't find it here. I know lots of people here can read the check engine codes, and there's lots of info on this coming up in my searches, but not a simple "how to" with the cable, etc, at least that I could find using the searches I tried.

I assume you have a car that was built after 1995. The cars after that use OBD2 standards. To read the codes and reset the ECU you will need a reader or scanner device that uses the proper protocal to read the data. You can check out places like EQuus or Actron for models to choose from. The Equus 3010 is a good model I think. Make sure any unit you decide on will work with the ISO-9171 protocal. Any of the Equus models will work.

http://www.iequus.com/Product/OBDII/