Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch adjustment on 1981 4wd wagon

This question has probably been asked (and answered) a thousand times, so, I apologize but I could not find the thread for this. My clutch is slipping on my '81 wagon. It has only 73,000 miles on it. By all measures, this car was pampered. Is it time for a new clutch? Or, can someone help explain (to an idiot like me) how to adjust the clutch? Thanks!!!

If it's slipping then the only adjustment that would make any difference would be to *loosen* the cable - but since the tendancy is not for them to get tighter with age but rather looser anyway - you need a new clutch.

Mileage has little to do with it. It's all how it was driven. Low mileage probably indicates an elderly driver or someone very cautious - they tend to ride clutches more trying to go slow or accelerate slowly. In the end they cause accidents due to their inability to keep up with traffic flow and wear out clutches and brakes because they don't understand that what they are doing is detrimental to the mechanical components.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Just to be sure, sometimes when I am in 3rd or 4th and give it gas, the rpm's seems to shoot up, but not the speed. If I back off it, then it all goes back in sync.

My buddy is a mechanic, and works out of his garage on weekends. Is this a big endeavor? Do we have to drop the tranny to get this done? Thanks again for all your help.

Pulling the engine is much easier than dropping the tranny on a Subaru - especially an EA81. I can have the engine out in less than an hour. You have to figure down-time for the flywheel resurfacing and if you are doing it you should upgrade to the 83+ 225mm clutch setup and flywheel. It's a direct swap - just order a clutch for an '84 and get the right flywheel.

GD

Pulling the engine is much easier than dropping the tranny on a Subaru - especially an EA81. I can have the engine out in less than an hour. You have to figure down-time for the flywheel resurfacing and if you are doing it you should upgrade to the 83+ 225mm clutch setup and flywheel. It's a direct swap - just order a clutch for an '84 and get the right flywheel.

GD

Not to mention resealing the motor is so much easier with it out.