Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hmm wierd noise....

so driving straight down the road there is a wierd roaring sound (like an intense version of knobby tire noise) coming from the front of my 87 wagon. but if i go around a right hand turn it goes away and sounds smooth and quiet like it should be. im very certain its a ball joint. just not sure which one. any ideas???

possible front axle bearing going/gone bad.....

loose axle nut... possibly pull cotter pin and see if you can snug main nut...

not sure how a ball joint makes a noise...hmmmm......

drive it down the road for 15 minutes with few stops, get out and feel around for hot spot, yes rotor will be hot but compair left right side, possibly disc is dragging, inner or outer bearing going bad etc.. feel your way around till you find something that is way hot.. possibly the issue..

my .02 cents..

sorry i was thinking like a sloppy ball joint causing the camber to vary because the noise goes away when the weight shifts off one side. which also makes sense with the wheel bearing :mad: or maybe a tie rod end ball joint being loose messing with the toe in and out. but hey thats probably just the side of me that hopes it isnt a wheel bearing

Cool - just make sure you install them correctly. Bearings and how they are treated are their own field of study. If it's done right these 6k series ball bearings should last 200k or more - often the life of the car. But too often people don't really know what they are doing and damage them or install them incorrectly.

GD

This may not be your case. In my case I did everything to stop the noise from the front end of my 86 gl 4wd. Now the thing should last forever. I replaced all wheel barings, trans diff bearings, ball joints, tierod ends, new rotors and pads as well as shoes on the rear. And a new axle.

The problem was the new axel I bought from advance auto. It was crap!!!

I bought a new axle from Napa. no noise at all. I am one happy dude.

Now I need to get my money back from Advance.