Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cargo security screen into 88 DL?

Even with tinted windows, i'd like to have the cargo security screen from a GL. I understand they can be hard to find, but anyone have pics of one swapped into a DL?

I am curious about the placement and mounting of the mounts - for the roller, and the catches at the back.

I've done some searches and a few threads talking about it, but no pics...

Thanks for the help!

rob

hmm - nobody has one they can snap a pic of?

I have a sub i'm going to be putting back there, and nothing screams "STEAL ME!" like a sub. You must have an amp, maybe a nice HU, and other goodies i can sell for meth...

Security screen should keep it from prying eyes (hopefully). I am trying to keep everything below the panel line (one at the top of those rear storage pockets). In hopes that the screen is above those and I won't have any issue installing it.

If anyone has a pic of the mounts and locations it would be helpful.

thanks!

rob

A thought on security screens: unlike a trunk, which always looks the same (empty or full), a security screen says "there's something here the owner doesn't want you to see". It doesn't matter why it's pulled, it always looks like something valuable might be under there.

I learned that the hard way when my wife pulled the security screen over our laundry to keep the sun off of it. A bashed-in rear window later, the bad-guy found nothing but clean socks, and I had a big mess and a bill for a new window.

So, we never used the screen after that. If anything of value was in the wagon, we covered it up with other stuff. Probably won't work in your case, but it's something to think about before you put a lot of effort into it.

-Ben

Edited by bendecker

A thought on security screens: unlike a trunk, which always looks the same (empty or full), a security screen says "there's something here the owner doesn't want you to see". It doesn't matter why it's pulled, it always looks like something valuable might be under there.

I learned that the hard way when my wife pulled the security screen over our laundry to keep the sun off of it. A bashed-in rear window later, the bad-guy found nothing but clean socks, and I had a big mess and a bill for a new window.

So, we never used the screen after that. If anything of value was in the wagon, we covered it up with other stuff. Probably won't work in your case, but it's something to think about before you put a lot of effort into it.

-Ben

Thanks Ben - good point.

But with a sub in the back, there will always be a "hey steal me!" item visible... With tinted windows and a screen, it will be more of an unknown.

Kinda screwed either way. I'm getting an alarm next payday, so hopefully that will be enough deterrent. In the meantime I still think the screen is better than nothing.

Are you talking about a wagon?

I had been looking for a cargo cover, which seemed to slide from the rear seat to the back and lifted with the tailgate...

Sorta like my moms 88 Hyundai Excel/Mitsubishi Precis had.

If youre talking about something that goes over the window, then yes, I think it has a big "something hidden, look here" voice, and you should look after a cargo cover, because those look stock.

If Im completely wrong, dont mind me lol :P

Are you talking about a wagon?

I had been looking for a cargo cover, which seemed to slide from the rear seat to the back and lifted with the tailgate...

Sorta like my moms 88 Hyundai Excel/Mitsubishi Precis had.

If youre talking about something that goes over the window, then yes, I think it has a big "something hidden, look here" voice, and you should look after a cargo cover, because those look stock.

If Im completely wrong, dont mind me lol :P

Yeah, just a cargo cover. No window screen. The DL's didn't get them, the GL's did. I had a 91 GL and liked the cargo screen... now want one in my 88 DL wagon.

Supposedly they just mount up to the DL - need the screen and mounts.

I read on here recently that you just have to find a suitable GL and switch out the side panels. I don't have any pics. But,I have two of the cargo covers. A dark grey one in like new condition and a blue one that works,but isn't that great. I'll trade both or one for ea82 4wd clutch stuff.

Yeah, I heard the same originally. Then someone said that you just need the mounts and the existing DL panels will work fine.

If that's the case it should be way easier... So i started this thread hoping someone could snap a pic or two of theirs. Preferably the DL w/ screen. OR the GL screen stock with detail on the mounting points. (are they just screwed in, molded into panel, etc?)

Thanks for the info and help!

rob

I recently found a cover in like new condition for my 90 wagon' date=' and installed the same mounting hardware as shown, was a bit of work to hit the original holes in the body and quite abit of the plastic had to be drilled and cut to make them fit.

[img']http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/tsunamaru/100_0373.jpg[/img]

NICE! that's exactly what i'm hoping to do. could you show me pics of the mounts and how you fab'd them?

Looking at the other set of pics (thank you!) - i was worried i needed the panels too. Sure it wouldn't hurt, but probably easier to work on my clean panels first.

The back looks pretty straight forward - just lining up with the right spot may be difficult. The front looks more difficult w/ a larger cutout to fit the mount for the roller...

Appreciate the help guys!

rob

Sorry I forgot to get those pics for you, I will snap them in the morning, maybe here in a few.

Yes, you can cut holes in your panels and it will work. Use markjw's pics as a reference. What I did was remove the panels and once they were removed I was able to see the mounting locations in the frame. So once I saw those, I just lined up my drill and my panel, and started drilling holes, and then used an exacto knife to make the holes better/bigger. Then mounted the hardware in. Done. Took about 45 min. All I had to get was the mounting hardware, but I picked that up at a junkyard.

The hardware is pressed into the frame (I usually have to smack it really hard with my palm to get it to "snap" into place, and yes it does "snap" in when you get it in), and then screws are used to secure/tighten the hardware to the frame. There is one screw for the mounts by the hatch, and then two for the mounts by the rear seats.

But,I have two of the cargo covers. A dark grey one in like new condition and a blue one that works,but isn't that great.

I am interested in your blue one :D You got a PM about it.

Sl33py, do you have a gray interior? I think you do, if so, if I can grab this blue one from markjw, then I can sell you my gray one, or whateva, markjw's is probably nicer... I want to stop by and check out your car anyways one of these days, just let me know...

Edited by eulogious

Pics!

This is my second one :-\ As you can see I didn't get this one perfect :( But you can't really see it at all with the cover in place.

IMG_0948.JPG

This one was my first attempt, much better :)

IMG_0950.JPG

And then the two rear, which I did much better on:

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

And then with the cargo cover in place:

IMG_0952.JPG

Hope that helps. These were all taken with my phone, so pardon the crappiness :) If you got any questions, ask away!

Edited by eulogious