Ultimate Subaru Message Board

does anyone have a good defroster?

I have a pampered 1981 wagon. Everything works great (except a small exhaust leak) including the heater. BUT, I cannot divert more air toward the defrost chambers. I have tried "McGeivering" it but I do not want to stuff rags in there or anything like that. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

Also, HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, could I remove my catalytic converter and put 2" exhaust on this? Would it run better or would I be better off leaving it stock? Again, I know this is illegal so I am just curious, that's all.

My defroster works in all my ea81s there is air flap that the wire will sometimes come off of you might want to check this is on the pass. side near the blower. now as for the exhaust yes the 2 in pipe will help but your wagon being an 81 it could be noncatalsust here in the southeast most subarus 1982 and older didn't have catalytic converters and said under the hood that they met the standard for light trucks (4wd wagons and brats anyway) so if you can find the sticker off of one of these cars put it on yours and that should fool most cops anyway. Oh dual exhaust would be better but put a cross over as close to the oil pan or heads as possible. soobs don't like true dual exhaust much

Thanks for the exhaust info. I am positive it does have a cat. My concern is that there is a sensor coming off the cat. If I remove the cat, will this mess with the sensor, engine timing, etc?

Also, I know exactly the part you describe on the blower. Everything is working fine. In fact, I just replaced the cable last year with an OEM cable. It seems like the flap will open to allow air to pass to the defrost, but, a SIGNIFICANT amount of air still comes out the bottom part of the heater on both sides of the transmission hump.

If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

You have a feedback carb thats all the O2 senser is for most of the time unplugging the computer doesn't ever change the way the car runs so removing the O2 senser probably won't hurt it any. Your timing is not computer controlled ether so no change.

Those doors for the defrost/heat/ac are controlled by cables. The control that you slide from left to right is hooked to a cable that opens and closes certain doors to direct air where you want it. When the sheath breaks it does not open the door entirely. Pull the center defrost/heating controls out of the dash and i bet you will see that cable cover is broken right near the control.

Something I noticed, besides the cables breaking easily, is the factory A/C box has a different air passage configuration. It moves air at the top as well. My brat came with A/C and I pulled the it and the box out due to mice and found afterward that the defrost is highly superior to my other wagon that just uses the left to right air tube. You do lose alot of room behind the dash but unless you need it for your extra power converter or ej harness it would go unused anyway.

As for your control box goes, its worth a good visual inspection to make sure all the linkages open and close things all the way. If the foam flap cover wears off it could be in some part of the system somewhere blocking something and the flapper would need readjustment for the missing foam piece. Mine was wrapped around the A/C unit with mice bedding. Wooopie!