Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Snow wagon OBDII build

SoobieDoo

I've got a build that's not really been started, but now have a '96 legacy EJ for it:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111205&highlight=snow+wagon

The first thing that I could really use some help with is the OBDII harness. I've searched and found some of the differences, like the fuel temp/pressure sensor, but haven't seen what's needed or how they're dealt with. So just what I'm I getting myself into here?

Thanks in advance,

~Eric

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a ECU pin-out for a '96 legacy? The FSM I have apparently lacks that, and it was of great help in numbchuk's write-up!

I have a pdf for the '96 ecu pin out that I got from Numbchux a while back. PM me your email and I can send it to you.

Thanks, dhise...exactly what I needed!

So far, so good. I've not found anything other than the fuel wiring that's extra, but several bonuses. No bulky SMJ to cut out, separate engine harness plugs from the front garbage, improved ECU plug, and of course the OBDII plug. I'm liking this harness more than the old 'uns. :banana:

• 2 months later...

Well, after a little break, the harness is almost done. :banana:

Just need to solder up power and grounds, but I would like to know what's up with the pressure source switching solenoid!?! I know what it's for, but are you guys doing the ODBII swaps hooking it up??? The plugs in question are in the '96 FSM, section 6-3, pg. 118-119: No's B1 and B2. Again, any help is greatly appreciated!!!

DSC02328.jpg

I installed the Solenoid and the "boost Sensor" (pressure sensor) on mine (96 Outback 2.2 harness)

I ran it without them for a while, mostly because my donor car was wrecked and that solenoid and sensor where damaged. I had to get another set from the junkyard.

FWIW, it ran fine without them.....but did throw a code for it. Same with the fuel temp sensor.

I installed the Solenoid and the "boost Sensor" (pressure sensor) on mine (96 Outback 2.2 harness)

I ran it without them for a while, mostly because my donor car was wrecked and that solenoid and sensor where damaged. I had to get another set from the junkyard.

FWIW, it ran fine without them.....but did throw a code for it. Same with the fuel temp sensor.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know! I'll be getting some lego parts anyway, so it may behoove me to get those parts for trips up Mt. Hood.

Is that the same sensor that's bolted to the passenger side strut tower, or am I thinking something different?

I've heard that's where it's located, and I'll prob get it for the drastic elevation changes 'round here.

P.S:

Since this is my build thread, your feedback is required. :rolleyes::lol:

Looks like I'll be changing on the tires. P/U some alloy 16's for it the other day, so even if I go with the retreads it's apparently a different style AT in that size. Might go with dedicated winter tires, then the retread MT's on steel wheels.

Is that the same sensor that's bolted to the passenger side strut tower, or am I thinking something different?

Yes, black box with 3 wires, on the same bracket with the solenoid with 2 wires. Connected to the engine with a small vac line with a weird little filter in it.