Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very Cool

really new here ,, I got a tip on the m&g page that maybe my litl blue ride has a chance at redemption, if I would post some symptoms here on my 1987 DL wagon.... here goes,,,, engine has ok power and starts easy every time,, symptom one is hesitation upon acceleration especially hills,, hit n miss is a good description,, I thought perhaps plugs, wires cap n rotor,,, but I now have major lifter/valve(?) noise from the port cylinders, which went away after an oil change though reappeared after a 60 mile trip on the interstate coming back home,, so I am back at the start with noises from the portside , not heavy like internal, but more like the valves are flying at each other at high speed! Engine does settle a bit and get quiter at idle,,,, very confused and I dont see to well,,, was running ok after sitting for two years I got it running and sounded good for a very short time(sniff) now its parked in the drive gathering dust off of Quinn Road,,, (sigh) help me dudes,, this is a star of the high way and boy do I miss it! Thanks a million and great to be a part of this forum. Doc

I assume its carbed?

And the ticking is what we refer to as the "Tick of Death" (TOD).

Normally a can of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) or Seafoam will take care of it.

If not, you will probably need to install a new o-ring in the oil pump, a relatively easy job.

The Seafoam can go in the gas tank and in the engine.

SUPER! Man thats just I will do, Ive used Seafoam before on the chainsaw but not had exp with Marvel Mystery Oil,, I will take a look at the haynes and chilton to see how the oil pump is refitted with an o-ring, sounds almost too easy a fix but wth ,, and it is carbed with 208k on the odo 5sp,,, and yes it is now a camper, and yes it is very comfy , and the back window makes a great place to stargaze at night with my litl sweetie, all stretched out and campin in the forest,,, tick of death is exactly what I feared the most, many "mechanics" in my area are parts changers only and think they can fix stuff while emptying my wallet, which they are very very good at!I have found that doing it myself saves alot of money but only if I can get it done correctly, which can be struggle. Thanks man, I will get right on that.

I assume its carbed?

If not, you will probably need to install a new o-ring in the oil pump, a relatively easy job.

That's what happened to mine, replaced the o-ring, no problems with that!

Your hit and miss could be a timing issue. Grab a timing light, warm up the car and make sure the choke is fully open, pull the vacuum line to the disty and plug it, loosen the 2 disty bolts and set timing: 8deg +/- 2deg