Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil in Air Filter Box

I just got out of my 85 Carb'd wagon and noticed a substantial pool of oil dripping from the motor. Popped the hood and found that it was coming from the air filter box, when i pulled the three wing nuts and got the top off I found a pretty big puddle of oil in there and got right to cleaning it out. I had to leave the car for a couple of days because Im headed out of town but im sitting here in front of my laptop pondering whats the problem.

Does anyone have any input?

Thanks

-Carp

Edited by bigwildcarp
typo

It is unlikely to be the valve itself - they rarely fail. Most likely it is all the hoses, connectors, and the valve covers that are plugged up with carbon and causing the system to flow incorrectly. Don't forget to replace the small PCV filter inside the airbox - it's a tiny white filter element that's about 1" by 2" and is located on the side in front of one of the PCV hose ports.

GD

If your oil filler cap is loose there is a lose in vacuum and oil accumulates in the air cleaner housing. I had 82 carbed that had that problem

It seems all pre 1994 subarus have loose oil filler caps just had it on my 92 loyal. You can either back it off slightly from all the way tight or bend the two lips on the underside of the cap. I like the back it off a bit method. Hate to bend metal to much or to many times.

I would probably do what GD says to do also!