Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In need of some wiring diagrams

Hi, ok so i have been looking all over this site and google for wiring diagrams cause my chiltons sucks and has no wiring diagrams at all. I am looking for the igintion wiring diagrams. I foiund a few diagrams on this site but everything was unreadable. If anyone has anything for me it would help. Im trying to get my brat running and I think the wiring to the coil is wrong. yellow wire to negative coil, then there are four wires on the positive side of the coil, a black/white wire, a ground wire, a wire to the disty, and another wire. the brat has no tach in it so there will be no tach wire. This is really starting to frustrate me that my brat will not show any sort of spark and I am about ready to push it off a cliff so any help will be gracious of you.

Thanks

Ryan

A ground wire on the positive side of the coil would be bad. That would instantly blow the igntion fuse - when you key-on you should have power to the positve side of the coil - black with white stripe. You sure this "ground" isn't a noise reduction capacitor?

Negative side of the coil is the tach signal/trigger side - it's always yellow. Being you don't have a tach you should have a yellow wire from the distributor going to the negative side of the coil as well as a red or black w/white going to the positive side of the coil.

GD

Fuse are all good. And also while cranking, voltage on the coil goes down to 9.5 volts.

That's normal - draw from the starter lowers the coil voltage. Being that you have voltage and no burnt fuses (and no car on fire!) then you can safely assume that the thing attached to the positive side of the coil that you called a ground was not, in fact, a ground. :rolleyes:

If you don't have spark then put a test light on the coil - if it pulses when you are cranking then the distributor is good. If it does not then the module is bad in the disty or something else is hokey in there - if it pulses check the coil resistance. Wouldn't be the first time someone didn't have spark because of a bad coil.

GD

Well it runs.:confused: Out of no where it starts. I went out to the car to check resistance on the ignition coil, it was ok. Then checked the resistance on the pick up coil, to do that I went to the closest connector for just the two wires that come out of the pick up coil. Found the connector and checked resistance on the two wires at the connector found good resistance put the connector back together and looked around for a little bit and really did nothing. Went back into the car cranked it over and it started right up.:banana: But the only weird thing now is that it hickups not consistently, but I am pretty sure it is because of the gas I put in on accident was mixed with 2 stroke oil.:rolleyes: So gunna try to burn the tank out tomorrow and go get a new fuel filter and then put some 91 octane in it.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Ryan

That's normal - draw from the starter lowers the coil voltage. Being that you have voltage and no burnt fuses (and no car on fire!) then you can safely assume that the thing attached to the positive side of the coil that you called a ground was not, in fact, a ground. :rolleyes:

If you don't have spark then put a test light on the coil - if it pulses when you are cranking then the distributor is good. If it does not then the module is bad in the disty or something else is hokey in there - if it pulses check the coil resistance. Wouldn't be the first time someone didn't have spark because of a bad coil.

GD

Dam, I screwed that whole post up. My bad, I was really irittated and annoyed.