Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i bought this a few months back from the original owners, they drove it nearly 100 miles a day since 1990

it has 344k on it, original everything, runs and shifts perfect, its a 5spd awd

since ive had it i lifted it a few inches on forrester GR2 struts, and trailing arms

put 225 60 16 mts on it, with painted forrester wheels

i put a trailer hitch on, flowmaster super44, and a cold air intake

i also tinted the windows and added the roof rack

its my daily driver, and gets 25-27 avarage mpg.

this is my 18th subaru, and the cleanest by far, love it:banana:

post-17861-136027644052_thumb.jpg

post-17861-136027644057_thumb.jpg

post-17861-13602764406_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

in the US seat belts on these cars move when you open the door, and automatically close on you when you shut the door, you guys have standard fixed belts.

we generally do not like them as they are unreliable with age, and they bug some people.

i dont mind, as mine work well, and its impossable for me to get a seatbelt fine:grin:

What's the story with those seatbelts? I'm in NZ and have never seen any seatbelts with adjustible mounts like that - can you get me some more photos??

what dan said above.

plus, these seat belts were / are part of the US requirement for a safer cars. these automatic seat belts were a step the auto makers took before they started using air bags. (when you closed the door the belt you saw in the pic would slide up to the B pliar positioning it self automatically to protect the occupant.you still had to manually connect the lap part of the belt.) the whole idea was to protect even the dummys who chose not to wear a seat belt, now some 15 years later, they are giving tickets to the drivers who do not wear seat belts.

what dan said above.

plus, these seat belts were / are part of the US requirement for a safer cars. these automatic seat belts were a step the auto makers took before they started using air bags. (when you closed the door the belt you saw in the pic would slide up to the B pliar positioning it self automatically to protect the occupant.you still had to manually connect the lap part of the belt.) the whole idea was to protect even the dummys who chose not to wear a seat belt, now some 15 years later, they are giving tickets to the drivers who do not wear seat belts.

To add on this a little, it was a law stating that the manufactures had to have some sort of "active" restraint system in the car, starting in 1990 I believe. Some manufactures decided that the auto belts were the best option (cheaper), and some went with airbags. In 1992 I believe the law was changed to require airbags specifically because the auto belts weren't working as intended since people would just not use the lower lap belt, and that resulted in some bad accidents. So once the law was changed in 1992 Subaru went with airbags.

I am kinda starting to like my auto belts. Like Dan said, I can't get a ticket for that now! But I am still on the fence about them. I am hoping they will grow on me with time...

I really like your wagon man! Kinda the same look I am going for :D Good work man!

To add on this a little, it was a law stating that the manufactures had to have some sort of "active" restraint system in the car, starting in 1990 I believe. Some manufactures decided that the auto belts were the best option (cheaper), and some went with airbags. In 1992 I believe the law was changed to require airbags specifically because the auto belts weren't working as intended since people would just not use the lower lap belt, and that resulted in some bad accidents. So once the law was changed in 1992 Subaru went with airbags.

Auto Belts, and Airbags are "Passive" restraint systems. Meaning the Driver doesn't have to do anything for it to function. "active" restraints would be like a regular seatbelt you "actively" have to put on. details:rolleyes:

The law passed in 92, requiring passive restraints. That is the year that Loyales got the "automatic" seat belts standard (they where optional since 88).

Legacies already had them, but a drivers side airbag was added in 92 models.

The auto belts weren't eliminated until 95, when the dash was redesigned to accomodate both Drivers and Passenger side airbags, meaning that the "automatic" belts could be dropped.

All the auto belts will someday stop working. That is why they suck. Good news is that manual belt setup from a 95-99 Legacy, Outback, Impreza will bolt in and replace a failed automatic unit.