Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you look around on eBay you'll find vendors selling all four as a set usually including free shipping. That's why you kind of want to look for, all four as a set, since that is generally the best price.

My last set I got from Summit Racing; the price was a little higher but I was getting some other things there anyway and I like Summit so I ordered from them.

subaru struts are easy to replace. some older ones like 20 years ago are annoying but you might attribute that to age/rust.

on the bottom of the strut where it mounts to the hub there are two bolts. 17 or 19mm bolt/nut combination. The top bolt is a cambered bolt and affects alignment. Mark the position of the head when you remove the bolt and reinstall it at that same rotational location on the new strut. If it sounds complicated, it's not and the adjustment isn't all that precise so it's not that crucial or hard to retain. Mark head of bolt...with a marker or chisel (what I do) and reinstall the exact same way.

Other than that strut replacement is really easy. Front has 3 nuts at the top, 2 bolts at the bottom and bam the entire thing comes right out. Easy and quick.

Rears aren't much different, very easy to replace as well.

That's if you're replacing with loaded struts, complete assemblies. If you're actually disassembling and only replacing struts, swapping everything else then you'll need a strut spring compressor. If that's the case then sometimes it's worth it just to let a shop do that part then you do the install of them. Of if you still want to do it buy a cheap spring compressor from harbor freight or get one of the free rentals that many chains stores offer now.