Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axles and axles and axles

Just bought an 89 Hatch rust bucket on the cheap. Rusty as hell but runs like a top. I'll beat around for the winter in it and then pilfer parts (FULL INTERIOR) for my 87 in the spring. It needs both from axles replaced, but came with two new ones. I check my manual and it says I need to have them pressed out at the hub by a shop (or use the Subie tool) So I get on here to see how it's really done and I find different ideas all over the place, people almost fighting over how to do this right. Can somebody tell me (or post a link) to the best way of replacing the fronts? I just need to get it done and I dont want to be standing there, scratching my head thinking "That can't be right" post-14510-136027644082_thumb.jpg

So I get on here to see how it's really done and I find different ideas all over the place, people almost fighting over how to do this right. [ATTACH]8058[/ATTACH]
that's okay just choose a method that sounds best to you and do it or ask specific questions about it. there's no way to ask for "one way" when there are multiple ways, just pick one and roll with it. this thread will turn out just like the others - you'll get multiple options.

Jack it up

Remove the wheels, the brake calipers and brackets.

Remove the castle nut form the end of the axle, and the roll pin from the inner joint.

Then remove the hub/disc assembly. Carefully remove the bearing seal that's behind the hub.

Unbolt the Sway bar, and the inner pivot bolt of the control arms.

Slide the inner end off the stub. Then use a hammer and drift to knock the axle out of the knuckle, should have enough room to swing the knuckle out with the Control arm and sway bar disconnected.

Insert new axle, it may not go through all the way. Get it in as far as you can, then thread the nut onto the end. Use 2 claw hammers, one on each side of the nut, prying against the knuckle (this is why you remove the seal, it'll get boogered here if you don't).

You should be able to draw it though the bearings using the 2 hammers far enough to put the hub on and tighten the rest of the way with the nut. Don't forget to put the seal back in first, and it's a good idea to shove some grease in there on the bearings before installing the hub.

the rest is reverse of disassemebly.

I've never used any sort of tool to get the axle out of the hub except for a hammer. Its really easy. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to get the axle off. The hardest part it getting the roll pin out of the tranny stub part of the axle. You just gotta make sure you tighten it down really well when you put it all back together. Lol