Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im even more confused now

A while back I posted about the untimely death of my engine due to wet gritting mud intake.The engine would run but it needed ether/a pull start to run.when it did run it wouldn't idle and smoked a lot.so I was thinking that the mud did a number on the cylinder walls or took out the piston rings, or caked valves so they wouldn't close.

finally I took the heads off in the car the car to take a look.

heads are perfect

walls are perfect

and I didn't see any thing obvious wrong with the rings

I filled the combustion chambers in the heads full of water and they didn't leak.

right now it doesn't look like anything is wrong in there so Im a bit confused...

I will be pulling the engine soon so I can get a better look at everything.

anything else on a EA81 that would explain why it cranked/ran like it had no/low compression and smoked alot of oily smoke?the Engine wasn't overheated or anything so I don't expect the rings to be crystallized or anything...

Thats why you do a leakdown test before ripping stuff apart. Compressed air into the cylinder and see where and how much is leaking out.

Could have just been some bad carb problems.

Did all the rockers move the same distance while you turned it over? Could have a wiped cam.

Are all the pistons coming up flush with the top of the deck or are a couple lower than others at TDC? You could have bent rods if you hydrolocked it.