Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have seen this before. The car probably had terrible torque bind that was never addressed and as a result the rear drive drum broke off the shaft. I had one that was likw that. I replaced the shaft with the drum on it and set the rear housing withe the clutches back on the drum and VIOLA the problem was fixed. This is a problem that can be addresses with the car up on ramps in the driveway.

It is definitely AWD. I stated its a auto in the first post. It has no fuse in the fwd holder, one of the first things I checked when I noticed the problem. I have had this car for maybe 6 months so its not real new to me. I don't think the awd ever worked since I got it, It just took until now to post about it. What exactly broke on your car? I did jack up the rear wheels to see if I could get them to spin, but that didn't work, ad I didn't know if that was a legitimate test for the awd.

ad I didn't know if that was a legitimate test for the awd.

search "diffcheck" . you can use that procedure to see if the transfer clutch will indeed "lock up". or just unplug the large wiring connector the goes to the trans and drive it in tight circles. with the wiring disconnected the trans should be in limp mode, 3rd gear only and ''locked'' 4wd.

if not, you have a mechanical problem in the rear extension housing on the trans.