Ultimate Subaru Message Board

click click click click click.

I have a strange clicking noise coming from my right front wheel.

It is intermitent but when I hear it it sounds similar to having a stone stuck in the tyre.

The click mostly stops when turning or when braking.

I thought it was a wheel bearing but ive since had this replaced.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Dirk.

CV joint sounds about right. if it's more noticeable around turns that is classic cv joint failure, though they can fail other ways too.

my first guess would have been wheel bearing as you apparently tried to guess. did the noise return immediately after replacing it or was it gone for awhile?

Thanks guys.

The thing is CV and DO joints were replaced only 3 years ago.

I remember the feeling and sound of the joints before they were replaced (especialy on cornering) and this is a similar noise but much higher pitch and like I say it dissapears when cornering or even if I dab the brakes lightly. Also it has no affect on the feeling of the car.

Mostly it happens when I am driving in a straight line and is not affected whether I have power on or not.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just surprised that it would be this.

regards

Dirk

did the noise return immediately after replacing it or was it gone for awhile?

Hey. No the new bearing made no real difference. But the noise is intermitent. Might not hear it for days and then it will come back again.

Dirk.

If the brake pad hardware has broken or come out, it will cause the brake pads to shift around in the bracket causing a sound. It can change with pitch of road, amount of brake pressure is applied and speed.

dood! i just remembered that happening to me! Dirk take the pads out of the calipers and make sure theyre not upside down and can move freely in the caliper(you shouldnt have to force them in).

RV

If the brake pad hardware has broken or come out, it will cause the brake pads to shift around in the bracket causing a sound. It can change with pitch of road, amount of brake pressure is applied and speed.

This is exactly what happened to me. But I never fixed it as i was to lazy. :grin: It doesn't really cause any problems that I noticed. Just a little tick tick tick at slow speeds.

-cody