Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which would u buy 98 or 01 legacy if everything equal?

depends on what you want the car to do for you. I have a 99 GT and like the stiffer suspension in corners. We just sold our 2000 Legacy and it was a good car too. It was roomier (although not hugely), had a more compliant suspension setup, and was a quieter ride. I never really liked clunk from the rear diff when I broke the rear end loose in snow. It was an L model and I don't know if that would be the same story in the GT. My 99 is a tighter ride and changes direction with more immediacy. Either way you are looking at the EJ25 which is famous for blowing the original head gaskets. Any time I look at these cars the first question I ask is whether they have been replaced. As far as maintainence is concerned, they are pretty much even in terms of parts prices and level of competency for self repair projects. I am biased towards the 99 because I like to throw my car around alot and like its' behaviour as I increase my drift angle. For long distance driving we always took the 2000 for its comfort and civility. Boils down to driving style in my opinion.

The GT's ride really nice, the L's and brightons float around turns and I'm not a fan either. There's a price difference between those models and like you said it's worth it in my opinion.

The difference in handling you're describing is likely model based - L verses GT, not year based. The L models are notably sub par when compared to the GT models, they handle much nicer.

The GT's ride really nice, the L's and brightons float around turns and I'm not a fan either. There's a price difference between those models and like you said it's worth it in my opinion.

The difference in handling you're describing is likely model based - L verses GT, not year based. The L models are notably sub par when compared to the GT models, they handle much nicer.

so what are the differences between 97 lego L vs. GT, sway bars and tires??

so what are the differences between 97 lego L vs. GT, sway bars and tires??
i have no idea but would like to know as well. i've wondered the same thing. the GT's do get 16" verses the L's having 14" if that makes a difference.

every L or brighton model i've driven is a swaying machine and not as nice to drive in the twisty mountain roads. the GT's are much nicer.

so i guess there's a difference in suspension, or the L's don't age as well, or anecdotal?

i have no idea but would like to know as well. i've wondered the same thing. the GT's do get 16" verses the L's having 14" if that makes a difference.

every L or brighton model i've driven is a swaying machine and not as nice to drive in the twisty mountain roads. the GT's are much nicer.

so i guess there's a difference in suspension, or the L's don't age as well, or anecdotal?

the tires are obviously different. and i'm pretty sure the struts are the same and the springs too.

i did some checking, sway bars are different:

legacy, L, LS, Brighton have a D=15 sway bar. (D = diameter??)

GT, LSi have a D = 16 sway bar

and the winner, Outback has a D=18 sway bar.

rumor has it that the mounting brackets are different to allow for the different diameters. i'm sure the "rubber bushings" are different but i'm not sure of the metal brackets.

so what would a legacy drive like with an outback sway bar??