Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can a failing front DIFF feel like a failing steering system?

It really seems like a steering problem but could it be the next chapter in my front DIFF saga? The PS pump seems a bit damp but fluid isn't leaking fast. PurplePowering that now. There's just a tough hitch at a quarter turn in the wheel all of a sudden since Wednesday. Any ideas?

Spray penetrating oil on the 2 u-joints that couple the steering column to the rack. They're right over the drivers side axle. Use real penetrating oil, not WD-40, so Kroil, PB blaster, Yeild, something that actually lubricates. I've used bicycle chain lube in a pinch.

And by purple powering, do you mean cleaning off the exterior of the power steering pump to see if there's a leak or do you mean pouring some additive into the power steering reservoir?

Also see this recent thread about the same problem: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116592

Edited by WoodsWagon

A failing diff would be clearly evident. They don't go silently. The steering wheel will turn fine, but the car will keep trying to go straight, then you'll get a loud bang pop and click, the car will jump up and down and jerk around, then it will turn... for about 3 feet. Then you go through the motion all over again. :banana:

Going the steering shaft U joint route with everybody else.

There are no noises save for some PS belt screeches, at low speeds, I think I caused with the Purple Powere degreaser trying to find a leak. The steering got easier when I added a cup of ATF to the reservoir but there is still that hard spot. I'm gonna go try that u joint lube job with my AeroKroil. I may have degreased it!