Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Subaru sitting for 7 years

The combustion chamber volume on a EJ22 is 41cc. Just under 1.5 oz. So, really, only about a half oz of oil needs to find somewhere to go, at the top of the compression stroke. On a cyl. that is showing low or no compression,it's not an issue.

Besides, if you know a better way of breaking free frozen rings, short of cracking the block open, I'd love to hear it.

You have to consider the speed of the stroke and viscosity of the fluid. That MMO is not going anywhere, something will give.

Well,hopefully the excess oil gets forced past the rings and free's them up. At least that's the idea of it. I didn't dream this up. I read about it on the internet, so, it must be true.:lol:

I have done it successfully at least twice, maybe three times. If I ever mess up an engine doing it, I'll probably stop. But, I have no idea of a better way of freeing up frozen rings.

BTW..Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Changed the oil and fuel filters today, ran the car to warm up, revved the engine a bit, the ticking went away and everything seems to be running great. I took a tire off and would have to say things look pretty bad from corrosion and parts will need to be replaced, maybe I could salvage a bit of it, hopefully the calipers. I still have to do the compression test.

I would change the oil again in a few days, your going to loosen stuff up and odds are the filter its going to get plugged real fast. But DONT forget to do the timing belt,tensioners,idlers water pump, cam seals crank seal, after sitting for so long, you can be sure they are ready to be done and the material they used back then for the cam seals didnt hold up to well, get it at the dealer(along with your WP gasket and thermostat). As for the suspension, replace the ball joints they are only like 10 bucks on rock auto. Good luck keep us informed, as for seafoam, blah, I wouldnt do it, especially on a car that has been sitting for 7 year:eek: