Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Loyale Front End Noise

DanK

I have a noise in the right front end that I assumed to be a bad wheel bearing. I would get a slight vibration when I would go down the road or making a sweeping left turn. Right turns it quieted down and went away.

I had the RF bearing replaced and was told it was bad but the noise/vibration was still there.

I thought it must be the transmission (5spd) so I bought a used transmission from one of our forum members.

After giving it some more thought, it seems to me that it wouldn't be the transmission. The transmission shouldn't be affected that way.

I am in the process of pulling the Right halfshaft and am going to take it to the driveline shop tomorrow to see if it could be the problem. I am also going to bring the one I received with the transmission and see if it is any better, in spite of the torn boot.

Any comments?

Thanks,

DanK

Edited by DanK

jboymechanic - It's not a clicking sound, more of a steady drone.

Nomad_Brad - The boots are in great shape on the axle in the car. The outer boot is torn on the 'parts' axle I have. I haven't removed the axle yet but will take them both to the driveline shop and leave with a re-built unit if necessary. I'll install it and take it for a drive to see if the noise persists. Changing transmission remains the last option.

Thanks all.

DanK

Edited by DanK
typing error

I've got the same problem on my 92 Loyale. Driving straight or turning left it drones and causes a slight vibration that can be felt in both the steering wheel and the pedals. Turning right it's silent. I've narrowed it down to Axle or Wheel Bearing. Since mine's got 163K on it, I'm replacing them both. There is a great thread in the USRM section of the board on front wheel bearings and another on how to "rebuild" axles. I'd say to replace on or the other, but since you'll be halfway to one job, when you're doing the other, might as well just do them both.

sometimes the cone washer/spacer can be messed up behind the castle nut...check to see if all hardware is properly tighten. some times its the opposite side wheel bearing then you think its coming from....

If it was the cv joints it would be like a click,click click as you turn 1 way or another while in gear and will def get worse and louder, if it constant then that makes me think its something to do with wheel bearings, or maybe a rock stuck in the brake pad?...

Good luck and hopefully you solve you problem.....

-Nomad