Ultimate Subaru Message Board

low range transmission

mutantfab

Hello everybody

First time on ultimate subaru and want to tell everybody hi. I became interested in the subaru tranny after the reverse ring and pinion was made. I am looking to build a 4wd buggy. Problem is no real low range. Current hi lo range multiplies torque before the transmission. This limits how low you can go before you begin breaking gears. I am in the process of slowing mating a legacy tranny with a actual 4wd transfer case. This will give a 2.72 low range in all 5 gears with the "possibility" of selecting 2 and 4wd. If I can pull this off, I guesstimate the finished product to be about 1 to 2 inches longer than a stock legacy tranny. This project will take some time, I will try to keep you guys current as the project evolves. If this works, it should be adaptable to most newer trannys. possibly fitting into an actual subaru chassis. Not 100% on that, but that is my goal.

Thanks Brian

Now that would be really cool. Ive heard of people using stand-alone type transfer cases on these, but only when using an entirely different drivetrain.

A transfer case adapted to work on a Subaru transmission is an undertaking of a whole different nature. :eek:

I'm going to venture to guess you have some background in machining and metal work?

Will try to stay current on progress. Guessing it could take almost a year. The buggy I'm building is approx 100hp and 1500lbs. with 32 11.50s. Reverse ring and pinion may be offered in a 4.86 for the vanagon syncro guys. This with the weight and power output shouldn't put a huge strain on the system. As far as a commercial project, much more hp and weight to be dealt with. Only time can tell whether its feasible. Choice in parts is catered to a possible production item.

Brian

I didn't realize the wagons were that light. The reverse ring and pinion is only offered for he 99 and newer trannys, so my focus has been on that tranny. I beleive the older trannys are a little different in the tail section. I have bought a 93 loyale, so I will tear the transmission apart to see the differences. Who knows, it may be easier to work with. I will try to get some pictures on line to give you guys an idea of what I'm trying to do.

Brian

Also - if you could do the rear transfer section mods you are talking about for an older D/R tranny (won't be that much different from the '99 up tranny - I have had both apart and that section is very similar between EJ and EA 5 speed's) then those of us that are running these in a Subaru don't actually need the reverse R&P and thus it could still be a marketable product.

I would definitely buy a 61:1 transfer section for a 5 speed D/R and I know there's a LOT of people on here that would also be saving their pennies for one if such a product were marketed. There's already a couple members here doing a pretty decent business in lift kits - if lower gearing were to come along all those people would want one and it would attract more people over to the subaru off-roading community. Possibly some who actually have money :rolleyes:.

GD

Can anybody tell me if you can put a pinion shaft out of a 99 and newer tranny into a dr tranny. If this is possible, I may focus on the ea82 tranny instead of the legacy tranny. I realize the pinion shaft is longer in the dr. This extra length can be deleted with the modification I want to do. The extra length of the stock pinion shaft can actually omit one custom part. If the reverse ring and pinion will work in the older tranny I may go that route. My main focus is on the reverse ring and pinion for a rear engine layout.

Brian

The low range would work for both. As far as I know the reverse ring and pinion won't work in the 4wd trannys. The pinion gear in those trannys are a few inches longer, and there may be other differences. My question was whether a pinion out of a newer tranny will fit into the 4wd trannys shaft. If so then I can work with that tranny as well.

Brian