Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1980 GL 4wd pulls slightly to right when braking

Before I parked this car for about four years (well, actually, very little driving due to multiple problems whcih have since been fixed) I had put two new calipers (with new pads,hoses,turned rotors) on the front end of this car. Now, the car pulls slightly to the right when I brake. Inspection of the rotors, pads, calipers, carriers, reveals no obvious problems, however, I'm wondering if there could be some corrosion on one of the calipers that causes one to "delay" action, when I hit the brake pedal (cause the other side to grab first, therby pulling the car to that side???)

Another thing to check is the strut rod bushings. The strut rod is the 3/4" diameter steel rod that bolts to the lower control arm and goes back at an angle to the body right under the front footwells. If those bushings start cracking and getting loose, the wheel will move forward and back in the wheelwell under braking and acceleration. That changes the suspension geometry, which changes the toe setting, and you get a pull.

Another thing to check is the strut rod bushings. The strut rod is the 3/4" diameter steel rod that bolts to the lower control arm and goes back at an angle to the body right under the front footwells. If those bushings start cracking and getting loose, the wheel will move forward and back in the wheelwell under braking and acceleration. That changes the suspension geometry, which changes the toe setting, and you get a pull.
AHA! Thanks! I'll check that out, too!!!

Change all the brake fluid since its hydroscopic (sp?) and tends to suck water into the system while it sits. While you have the front tires off, pull the calipers off and check the caliper slides to make sure they're not sticking. Since you say it pulls right, the left side caliper slides would be the culprit. Take them out, clean them and throw some new caliper grease into them.

If the problem after that still persists, then check the front end.