Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant not circulating, 95 Legacy new EJ22

Hi all!

Just finished putting a new motor in my 95 legacy and am having trouble priming the coolant system. Added fluid and can not get all the air bubbles out so she gets hot and cold spots and does not fully circulate.

Is there a trick?? Should I use the vacuum method to get all the air out?

Thank you!

Fill the block by the upper radiator hose. You may have to wait till the thermostat opens to add more coolant. Try adding coolant to the bleeder plug on the left of the radiator.

It is a bit tricky since the thermostat is on the bottom of the cooling system. Be careful, as it is possible to overheat during the fill procedure.

I ran across a subaru that had really bad overheating issues and wouldn't circulate coolant right after a 2.2l was swapped into it. The engine came with plastic plugs in the upper and lower radiator hose hookups on the engine, they had left the lower plug in and put the hose over it.

So it might be good to think back on when you put the engine in and if it had plugs like that.