Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat drive shaft

SubyBRAT

I'm in the process of getting a 78 BRAT with an EA81 engine and a dual range 5 speed. The rear drive shaft is too long to hook up, I know I can have it shortened pretty easily, but I've never done this before and I want to know if the the shaft will bolt up correctly once shortened. The shaft hooks up to the transmission, but I don't know if there is a difference in the way the shaft from a later model vehicle bolts up compared to an earlier model.

Any input would be appreciated.

can you get the correct drive shaft or is this a swap?

if you have it shortened that won't affect installation at all. that involves cutting out a portion of the middle, not the ends - so all the stuff that's necessary is still left in place. shorten it and then bolt it in just like normal.

if this is your driveshaft:

you shorten it by removing 5 and 6 and putting it back together to get:

1 and 9 are still the same ends and connections for fitting to the vehicle, assuming it's the right driveshaft for the given components.

Yes - just have it shortened - you need a 3.9 rear end for the D/R 5 speed - just make sure that the pinion flange on the rear diff matches the flange on the u-joint yoke of the drive shaft - should bolt right up once you have a new section of tube welded in and balanced.

Strange that it's too long..... if it's the original 4 speed shaft it should be too short.... that's the usual situation - unless you are talking about the 5 speed's two-peice unit? Don't use that one - use the Brat's drive shaft and have it lengthened.

GD

Strange that it's too long..... if it's the original 4 speed shaft it should be too short.... that's the usual situation - unless you are talking about the 5 speed's two-peice unit? Don't use that one - use the Brat's drive shaft and have it lengthened.

GD

I was thinking it would be too short as well:confused:

Wonder if he's got a Gen 2 Brat driveline? Slightly longer?

ya the oem driveshaft is def to short. I've tried...

I had my lengthened. Any DECENT driveline shop should be able to do it. They should replace the ENTIRE center section of the shaft. You can't just cut out a chunk and slap it back together... it won't balance properly.

Find a place that does shafts for big lifted trucks and stuff. they should have no problem doing it.