Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Big Score! Now What??

airweld

I got what I think was a great deal (let me know what you guys think) on a T-boned 1995 legacy with 61K driven since new by a little old lady. Always garaged, autostart, two sets of good tires, one studded, regular dealer maintenance, no damage at all, till the big one (see pics). As far as I can tell the strut is the only thing that's bent which is causing the alignment issue. So should I rip the rear door out and fill in the hole with a used door, plywood or whatever, see if I can get the front door working and have a nice TrashWagon,...OR take the EJ22 and 4EAT and transplant to my 1985 Brat that drives but has 125K, uses oil and is getting harder to get into reverse?? The Brat has nice body and interior, no rust, and I'm looking for a cruiser more than a wheeler. Especially if I can lock the AWD to full time 4WD.

I see that I can't upload pictures (in the posting rules). So I'll tell what I paid for the Legacy if I can upload pics. How do I get that changed?

Edit: Try this: http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l516/airweld/Legacy/

Edited by airweld
Added link to Pictures

Grossgary wrote: "I'd try to repair it personally. A car like that would give you many, many years of cheap, reliable service."

I hate to part out a rig like this, one with so much potential, ...however, it would sure make the Brat a new machine. I don't know at this point what it would take to restore it . Will look into it more.

I appreciate your opinion, whichever way it ends up. Thanks.

P.S. Paid $1500.

I disagree I would part that car out too. The brat is going to be amazing with that power-plant in it as long as the conversion is done as professionally as possible.

On the other hand at $1500 you may have paid too much for a parts car. I find them here for 4-700 or less quite often.

Hi Shawn, I have to agree ... ! Almost doubling the hp in the Brat would be sweet. I am still trying to figure out what all can be transplanted, like power steering and AC? Also could the AWD be locked to full time 4WD when needed? I thought it was a fair price given the condition and mileage of the car, plus the fact that here in Fairbanks, you don't have too many to choose from. It's a father/son project so there's the educational value as well. For both of us! With all the expertise I've seen on this board, I'm sure we'll figure it out. Thanks for the comments.

Scott

Pictures of the Brat: http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l516/airweld/Brat/

Well I think you paid about 1000 too much for it, but then again... is Alaska where milk is 9.50 a gallon and a 5th of whiskey can go for 300 in a dry region. :eek:

If it was me, I would pull the engine and wire harness, and do an EJ conversion on the BRAT. then I would part out the rest.

I have been looking for just the same vintage of subie to EJ my BRAT...I hope to never do an OBI engine conversion again... OBII form here on out for me. :banana:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96298&highlight=brat+swap

I wonder what this guys car drives like.:banana: I'll bet he wants softer springs. If I had a garage to work in.....I would really do this.

I'm really guessing that the really hard part to this is the fenders, and the rear strut towers and the rest can be done with a welder and some steel and a fair bit of time.

(Why does everyone hate OBI motors? My conversion is showing promise if I can just diagnose the last thing. Whenever i'll find that "last one" I'll be so happy, but a different thing just pops up in its place.)

Looks like serious damage to me. The C pillar is bent, not only does it look bent, but the very back window is broken. And the impact was a couple inches below it.

On top of that the B pillar appears bent as well. The passenger's side window doesn't look like it's seating very well and the bottom looks slightly bent in.

Not that it isn't fixable, it would just be a crapton of work and expense to the point where it probably isn't worth it.

Thanks 987687 for your assessment of the damage. I think you are right on the money... a boatload of time and money to restore it to it's former glory. I wish I had a Vanagon with a bad engine. Always wanted do do a swap on one of those. Lots of parts and online resources as well.

If I can get my boy behind it, we'll probably stuff it into the brat when we get time and everything lined out to do it, so we tie up the shop for a minimum amount of time. I need my shop to make my living.

If I was in your situation I'd probably get another 2nd gen legacy with blown engine/transmission, suspension, etc. Since you have a good engine/tranny and good suspension (except the back right) you could just swap it all over and have a good working car. Probably the easiest and fastest way to get a working car out of what you have.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96298&highlight=brat+swap

(Why does everyone hate OBI motors? My conversion is showing promise if I can just diagnose the last thing. Whenever i'll find that "last one" I'll be so happy' date=' but a different thing just pops up in its place.)[/quote']

Its not that I hate OB1 (ok I do) its just that OBII is so much easier to diag, and you can manipulate alot of things with it, like air/fuel ratios, injector pulse width, timing, etc. Basically I am being a wimp and don't want to hook wires together and count flash codes, I just want to hook up my scanner and see whats up.

As far as your situation with your EJ conversion, you may never get the CEL to go away...I never could, but the car ran fine and still is.

Some cars just like the CEL... Especially if you have an EGR computer with a non-EGR engine...

There's also my GL. It has a total of 7 codes, but runs wonderfully.

About the OBD2 thing, I've heard other members saying they get slightly better gas milage.

Being a 95 your legacy is the first year of OBD2, but the wiring is just a bit weird. Different colours, etc.