Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 ea 82 manifold flip

Can I flip the intake manifold around so the thermostat housing and outlet is pointing to the rear of the engine on the driver side. The only problem I can see would be slow circulation in the passenger side cylinders, would this be the case? I only say this because water pump and outlet would be on the same side? The reason for the flip is this will be a rear mounted engine and if it doesn't cause circulation problems will help clean things up and get the outlet pointed toward the front of the vehicle. The inlet would be cut and turned 180 degrees to also point forward. This will also put both hoses next to each other for cleaner routing.

Brian

Edited by mutantfab

You will have to block the EGR (no big deal), and rerout the heater core return pipe if you are using that (or block if you are not), but yes it should fit I think as long as the thermostat doesn't interfere with the distributor..... I think it will be ok though.

The thermostat housing is similar to many other '80s units - I found one from a Mazda Protege that worked well for my lifted EA81 project and I know another guy that used one from a Mazda MPV 4 cylinder. Also the older Nissan pickups have outlets that fit and point straight up. There are other options if you don't mind going to 1.5" hose instead of 1.25" hose.....

If I were doing what you are doing I would invest in a tubing bead roller and run the radiator via hard piping. You could even have the thermostat housing and water pump inlet modified to accept JIC fittings and run braided stainless hose to/from the hard tubing. Or go to like a LENZ type fitting. Those would be more robust off-road with some flex-line added to soak up vibration.

GD

Thanks Gd

I will run steel tubing through the center tunnel of the pan. Since this is a fiberglass buggy I'm hoping to put my radiator in the front to add weight and a possible large heat source for the open cab. Flipping the manifold will put both hoses together making this easier and cleaner. I didn't take into account the heater hose. I will have to give that one some thought. No circulation problems with this idea right? Also, for the tubing I may cut the inlet off of four pick n pull water pumps to weld on the tubing for my bead roll. As for the bellhousing, if it's minor interference I will try to releive it. Thanks

Brian

Edited by mutantfab

there may be an interference with the thermostat housing, but the ports would match. You could even flip the heads around and have the erg oprt on the correct side relative to the manifold.

the thermostat itself is the same diameter of a chevy, so i think an aftermarket outlet would work.