Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VeeDub TDI -> Brat body?

mailman1175

I know this isn't strictly within the guidelines for this forum, but this seems to me the best place to ask if anyone's seen, done or heard of swapping a VW TDI into a Brat? I'm thinking loads of torque, great fuel mileage for what would be a daily driver, lots of aftermarket support… but maybe a giant pain in the rear to get engine, tranny and transfer case (which is a must) all mated together, then lots of tweaked half-shafts...

Whaddya think? More trouble than it's worth? Are there better routes to getting a 30 mpg lifted commandocommuter BRAT?

I've looked into it before. ANd I think it could be done. It would require a very thick adapter plate and a specially prepared Flywheel.

Either need to machine an EA82 flywheel to fit the VW engine, or use a VW flywheel, and modify it to accept the Subaru PP.(starter engagement may still be an issue with the later)

I can get anyone who want to make the adapter a dead VW engine block to use as a template. Any takers?

Hi This is Jerry, i have an 85 hatch back the set up in it is the engine is a 93 1.8 impreza fuel injection the tranny is a 86 rx 5 speed dual range with 3.70 gears with rear dics. This is no joke i drive 500 miles every week for work and i have check the mileage the last 5 times i have fill it up 38.4 miles per gallon. My goal is 40 miles oer gallon but that will be next spring when it warms up. You can see my hatch click on this year show pictures and on page 5 you will see a light blue hatch thats it. Thanks Jerry

I think it would be more practical to put the drivetrain from a synchro van into a VW caddy than it would be swapping the TDI into a brat.

If you are talking about the rabbit based pickups from the 80's it would be very hard. The rabbit platform no real trans tunnel and no type of rear wheel drive. Not to mention you'd have to turn the whole drivline around and fit a flat motor where nad uprigth went. It would be better to use a Justy drivetrain to convert one of them:lol:

The way to go and without an adapter would be to use a VW trans would be to find a Quantam Synchro(staition wagon, fake subaru) , or maybe an Audi Quattro trans mated to the TDI. No adapter needed, just some custom CV's and a rear driveline to put the TDI in a Brat. Otherwise it's fabricate the adaption to subaru trans.