Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, after searching around for a bit I found a guy when can do my clutch for about $400. However, his shop/home is about 50 miles away and he only has a dolly. Now, I have a couple questions:

1. It's a 98 Impreza OBS 5sp MT. He said he can disconnect the rear drive and dolly it to his place. I did a bit of research and seems that most everyone confirm that is true. But I just want to make sure.

2. I am just wondering if changing a clutch on a subaru is that much different than any other car. Because that guy has no certificate so-to-speak but he said he had been fixing car "professionally for last 3 years and been working on cars for a long time." I have a little bit of uneasy feeling about that but am I just overreacting?

Thank you much

nothing that special about a subaru clutch. anyone should be able to do it.

if he's not familiar with subaru's just make sure he knows how to bleed the coolant good as EJ engines are prone to bubbles, burping, and overheating if not bled properly.

no issues with dolly if the driveshaft is disconnected. if it's not connected then nothing in the trans is turning, it's just sitting there and just as likely to blow up as it is if it's sitting motionless in your driveway.

you should be able to get some read from the guy. how's his shop, tools, communication, anyone else go to him, etc? trust your gut. the times i have i've been right, the times i've ignored it i screwed up.

Edited by grossgary

you should be able to get some read from the guy. how's his shop, tools, communication, anyone else go to him, etc? trust your gut. the times i have i've been right, the times i've ignored it i screwed up.

That's the bad part because I just looked him up on Craigslist as most shop quote me around $700 in town. I didn't have a chance to look at his shop at all. All the info I got is what he told me.

$700 sounds more like i'd expect. is it $400 including parts?

it can be done in a day, so someone could make $200 doing this job and that doesn't sound terrible on the surface (to me it does but i'm not a fan of pulling engines). but if someone is capable of doing that they're usually capable of having a job or making a lot more money too...so...kind of a tough call. maybe he's new-ish and wants the work? maybe he wants the job before it's 40 below zero outside? :lol:

make sure the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and both clips are being replaced while it's apart. nice to go through all this and then a year later have one of them go out.

$700 sounds more like i'd expect. is it $400 including parts?

it can be done in a day, so someone could make $200 doing this job and that doesn't sound terrible on the surface (to me it does but i'm not a fan of pulling engines). but if someone is capable of doing that they're usually capable of having a job or making a lot more money too...so...kind of a tough call. maybe he's new-ish and wants the work? maybe he wants the job before it's 40 below zero outside? :lol:

make sure the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and both clips are being replaced while it's apart. nice to go through all this and then a year later have one of them go out.

I didn't buy the clips, is it necessary?

BTW, $400 is just labor, I already got the clutch kit from ebay and a new flywheel.