Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 in need

81ru

Colorado Subaru owner looking for suggestions on getting my little ru running. I would really just like to put another engine in, any ideas on where to get a solid one? Im not terribly mechanical or have much in the way of tools, but would love to learn.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/home/onelegwonder/index

:banana:

Edited by 81ru

• 2 weeks later...

I just turned it over and Im pleased to report it just needed to be jumped!

The oil looks like a sludgy brown/gray color.

the Carb needed a little bit of adjustment so it wouldn't stall, also gray/blue smoke out the tail pipe.:-\

doesn't chocholet milk shake lean toward leaking intake gaskets or... dare I say.. Head gasket? (either intake gaskets or head gaskets are not that hard to do on these great little engines.)

I would look at the intake gaskets ... (look at chiltons etc for exploded views, names of parts etc.. to familiarize yourself)... and then you may have to do compression check on each cylinder. Do a search on the topic in the "search" area... read up... and tell us more...

Or it sat for a long time?

I would really just like to put another engine in, any ideas on where to get a solid one? Im not terribly mechanical or have much in the way of tools, but would love to learn.

As someone once told me when I joined this site, These little engines are "Bullet proof", so don't write off the sad looking little engine just yet... Once you know them they aren't that bad but it will take time but well worth the effort.

Start with the basics, figure out what is wrong, see if there are other memebers in your area etc... or just read topics here in the search, bond with your little roo and once it starts to click you will be a Jedi! with a great running little car that will go like no others!

If you want to learn you came to the right spot... your in the learning curve and that suck but it is a learning process... good luck

oh.. couldn't get pics to come up?

• 2 weeks later...