Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why stop at EJ swap?

ChuckPT

I must first apologize for my ignorance and disclaim that I am a layman when it comes to the type of mechanical artristry that the USMB community displays.

That being said I am hoping (with much help from my mechanic friend) to do an EJ implant into my '85 GL

I have a good friend whose professional garage I will be using

My real question however is regarding suspension: The GL and a late '90s legacy are both unibody constructed cars correct? So how difficult would it be to do a "frame off" swap where you transplant everything but the body onto the body of a GL?

DSCF1082.JPG

DSCF1083.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_rM88Cszins4/TPlU9GVjylI/AAAAAAAAAeg/NNyez8nBrEo/s640/DSCF1084.JPG

Now the hunt for parts cars :) I'm in Fort Collins, gonna be doing the work in Steamboat Springs if anyone in the area has input/suggestions

For starts I'm gonna get the motor swapped, gL suspension, 13" aluminum wheels and have read that it is pretty easy to split open the trans and convert to 23 spline so to keep same axles & rear diff?

Please any input is much appreciated.

I'm toying with that idea as well for my next project.

For already some info, go to topic http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96298&highlight=scotland

Here a WRX front and rear subframe is used.

I have yet to take a closer look at different Subaru subframes, especially the rear, to use on a EA82 platform.

Good luck and keep us updated,

Bram

Wow! that is amazing! Pickup-Bob is one dedicated brat enthusiast! For starters I'll get the engine started. A few more questions:

Why are so many conversions using the ej22? I found a '98 forester nearby, which I believe has the 2.5. What are the pros/cons of the ej25?

I think I'll use the forester's (assuming this is the route I go) 5 speed making it symmetrical AWD which is different from the 4wd because all the drive lines are, well symmetrical correct? Does this mean that I'll have to use forester axles?

Thanks again for any and all input!

I used to run around those parts a few years ago.

For the Forester 2.5, they are decent engines but they do have headgasket issues so ask if its been done. If not, they're a ticking timebomb sort of thing.

The difference between the old GL 4wd and the Forester AWD isn't the axles or drivelines, its the way the inside of the transmission is set up. The 4wd Subarus are like a 4wd truck but instead of being RWD, 4WD, they're FWD, 4WD. The AWD Subarus have a center differential that help distribute the power front and rear but is a differential so it can prevent binding while driving on dry pavement.

If I were you, I'd do a 5-lug conversion using the correct XT6 parts and the Forester parts, then swap the drivetrain into the car and you'll be done. Granted, its not that easy but it is very time consuming if you've never done a full swap with wiring harness like this.

If you are considering going the ej25d route (25d is the dual overhead cam), there is a lot of information in the forum on this engine. If the headgasket upgrade has already been done to the engine (and done right) these are excellent engines. If the donor car is overheating, you may want to pass on that one. You are best off to get a complete car if possible (and keep it til the project is done). That way you can get all of your harnesses, computer, etc. and if you forgot something the first time, you don't have to hunt it down in the junkyard.

If the engine is fine when you get it, but you don't know if the headgaskets have been done, go ahead and do them. Don't forget to do the timing belt at the same time. The belt isn't too expensive and you have to take it off to do the heads anyway.

Do all the stuff you can do while the engine is out but don't forget to do all the stuff you need to do while the engine is still in the donor vehicle. If it doesn't work right when it comes out of the donor, what are you to do to diagnose problems when its in a new car.

If you plan to lift it at all, you could build the lift to interface between the stock body and the EJ suspension. This would be a piece of cake.

I am swapping ej suspension into an ea81, and I can tell you, it isn't a small task. Ea's are a torsion bar rear suspension, and the mounts are quite far forward, the section of EA frame where an EJ rear subframe needs to mount will need more support. The top of the wheel well is also not designed to carry the full upward load of the vehicle so you will need added bracing there.

My opinion on these things is "quit looking at it and get welding" :grin:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115882

Isaac

• 1 month later...
Wow! that is amazing! Pickup-Bob is one dedicated brat enthusiast! For starters I'll get the engine started. A few more questions:

Why are so many conversions using the ej22? I found a '98 forester nearby, which I believe has the 2.5. What are the pros/cons of the ej25?

I think I'll use the forester's (assuming this is the route I go) 5 speed making it symmetrical AWD which is different from the 4wd because all the drive lines are, well symmetrical correct? Does this mean that I'll have to use forester axles?

Thanks again for any and all input!

na im just nuts but it had to be done, and no i will never do it again lol