Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is the 3rd thread I have started. I want to start by saying thanks to all who gave advice and continue to give advice on the other threads.

Now, on to the task. I recently bought a 05 Impreza RS (auto tran). The previous owner had the ignition switch go bad on him and had done the "wire in a button to activate the starter" trick. Now, when the ignition switch failed, he got a check engine light (that is still on), and he lost cruise control. Everything else seems to work ok as far as I can tell. I like to have things to be working correctly and I really like cruise, so I'm going to have to fix it. Any advice on how to go about it? Is this just a switch issue, or is there more to it? Thanks in advance for the help.

Check engine light is probably a starter switch circuit code. The ECU gets a signal from the ignition switch when it is turned to tell it that the starter has been engaged. If the switch is bypassed, the ECU wont get that signal.

Fixing this may cure the cruise issue as well.

Search through this thread and see if you can find a "Vacation" pic for your year. (you'll get it when you read the thread) http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216p15.html?highlight=vacation

Most of the links in the beginning of the thread are dead, but the stuff towards the end is more recent. There are tons of them for all different years.

This is the 3rd thread I have started. I want to start by saying thanks to all who gave advice and continue to give advice on the other threads.

Now, on to the task. I recently bought a 05 Impreza RS (auto tran). The previous owner had the ignition switch go bad on him and had done the "wire in a button to activate the starter" trick. Now, when the ignition switch failed, he got a check engine light (that is still on), and he lost cruise control. Everything else seems to work ok as far as I can tell. I like to have things to be working correctly and I really like cruise, so I'm going to have to fix it. Any advice on how to go about it? Is this just a switch issue, or is there more to it? Thanks in advance for the help.

See what the CEL is for. If it's for the ABS system, that might explain the cruise issue. Some of the more recent models use the ABS pulses to make the cruise control work. I'm not sure if yours is one of those, but it never hurts to pull the CEL code.

OB99W, so glad to see your post here. I've read a lot of your other posts and you are subaru electrical system god!;) I would really value your advice on this problem.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm no god. This forum has plenty of knowledgeable contributors, of which I'm (hopefully :)) sometimes one.

Based on "I like to have things to be working correctly and I really like cruise, so I'm going to have to fix it.", I'd suggest you replace whatever is known to be bad (assumedly, the ignition switch). As has already been mentioned, getting the trouble code couldn't hurt. That can usually be done at no charge at major automotive supply stores like AutoZone, Advance, etc. Let us know the what you determine (the Pxxxx code, not the code definition).