Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 GL-10 Turbo 4x4 auto tune up

Hi guys

I've just begun tuning my Subaru up, just bought it. Aside from plugs, wires, oil change, etc. What else can I do to get the most power and efficiency out of my car? What can I do to make it breathe better? Stuff like that. Thanks!

A good radiator and waterpump will make the most out of the life of the engine.

Along with that, use some good quality hoses and replace all the cooling lines that run all over the engine, especially the ones at the turbo, and the one below the thermostat housing.

some folks run a colder thermostat, if you are into premium fuel and timing advance.

you can retrofit an intercooler from various models to keep the temp down

Run 10w 30 oil

some folks will tell you the ea82t is not worth the time, or to do an ej swap, but if you have a good one that is not shagged, it doesn't take much to keep it that way.

there are options for different turbos, injectors and whatnot, just don't overboost this engine, you can go to about 110-120% beyond stock parameters and be ok

Edited by MilesFox

on this motor i'd suggest to keep things simple. it's best to aim for reliability on this motor as they have too many issues with eating head gaskets, heads, and blocks, if you push them.

plugs, wires, cap, rotor, complete timing belt kit off ebay, reseal the oil pump, and new water pump. subaru thermostat (the aftermarkets are visually toy-like in comparison) and PCV valve. do those things and also seal up any wet seals while the timing belt is off (crank, cam seal, and cam cap orings) for reliability.

any hint of overheating needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY on this engine. these things eat head gaskets and heads for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. and the radiator, radiator hoses, coolant cross over hoses, turbo hoses, intake manifold gaskets (with coolant passages through them), head gaskets, heater core hoses, throttle body hoses, turbo hoses.....they're all (or most of the) a quarter of a century old, that's a lot of age on hoses and gaskets. lots of room to leak and cause cooling issues which this motor is famous for.

The biggest boost in performance would be swapping to a 5spd manual from the 3 speed auto.

If it's been sitting a while, sending the injectors out to be cleaned can be a really good preventative measure. A partially clogged injector will run that cylinder lean and cook it in short order.

Big emphasis on the cooling system. It needs to be in top shape for the engine to stay together.