Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift, and tires

lesstutrey

Pretty sure i'm gonna do a 2" strut lift from high guys. Making up my mind this weekend, because i'm gonna get skid plates too, if i'm going for some offroad ability, i need the plates so i don't hurt anything. Heck, i may benefit from them without knowing it as i've put a hole in a condenser with a rock, and broken multiple exhausts from ice chunks on my old acura legend doing highway driving)

I have a 2002 OBW VDC H6 wagon, so i'm wondering if you guys think i CAN fit a 235/65/R16 on the stock alloys (then can run general grabber HTS's), and if so do you think i'd have rub after the lift? It's going from a 26.62" to a 28.04" wheel. Goyale you would probably know best as you're making the lift, and you have a LL Bean H6 so it would have very similar characteristics in wheel rub. And with the beefy double piston brakes would i need to do any upgrading in the brakes department for 1.5" more tire? Probably hunt down some used wheels at the local junkyard, because i want two sets, one for daily driving (my primacy's) and others for offroad. I could drop to a 15" wheel if a 235x70xR15 fits it...

Edited by lesstutrey

I can't wait till this thread starts to take off, part by part. Lift first and skid plates, then new wheels, springs, strusts to grab a few more inches ground clearance, then start to fab up some custom bumpers maybe, end up selling the original lift and ending up with 6" body lift and 32" tires not even driving it daily. If i get this new job i could really see that happening. For now we'll start with plates and lift, then wheels. Also have some minor repairs (replacing bolts and paint some rust mostly) before i really go nuts with it.

I have a 2001 Outback H6, and IMO the 28" tires will not fit - they will hit the coil spring perch. There is only room for about an extra 1/4" of profile over stock. I was going to lift mine 2" (and still may for approach/departure angles), but the struts limit the tire tallness - I will probably go with 215/65/16, which are 27.0" versus the stock 225/60/16 which are 26.7" - whoopee.

any other G3 OBW owners got opinions on tires? Would love more input before i start dropping money like it's going out of style. I know scooby has (or at least had a few days ago, 215/75/R15 on his unlifted OBW of same generation, he only has king springs.. granted that would give him some rub room, that's an inch over stock tires. Think the 1.5 or so from the springs is really giving him the rub room for 27.6" tires? I can wait on tires while i do offroad upgrades (like KYB struts and shocks, finding a 2nd set of rims, +1 more for spare)

Edited by lesstutrey

So look for a FWD car, as they have high offsets. I've noticed i can get a lot of GM steelies for real cheap but the offset is just listed as H, or high.. and i already have 48mm offset, so it's already high. Does it really go higher without spacers? I'm looking at 1.5" spacer/lug adapter, that goes to 5x114.3, the common bolts of jeeps, except.. jeeps have no offset on most models so 1.5" isn't much offset when i'm starting off with a 48 offset wheel, and most jeep wheels are 7" wide, not 6.5 like my OEMS, and also have no offset (however i know there are lot of other wheels that use the 114.3x5, that are fwd cars)

Edited by lesstutrey

Suprised no one has called me on this, i have the wrong bolt pattern listed. I can get brand new 16" unique steelies for 65$ a pop, however the best offset i find it what i a currently have. I could put on spacers, if i did i know they are bad for the hub, would i want the spacers where they mount to your posts and then have new posts? As these going to cause less damage or is it just because i don't have 17mm or so of thread to play with. I see both kinds for sale for fairly cheap.

I've been curious about the wheel-offset thing for a while as well. Let us know if you find anything. (I have a 2000 OBW)

I'd be more inclined to exhaust all possible options of high-offset wheels before resorting to spacers...but that's just me.

I'm going a similar route with my car, so high five on that! We can compare notes along the way. ;)

It seems like only a small amount of trial/error has happened with regards tire clearance on the 00-04 OBWs, so it's up to us to try stuff out!

I've been curious about the wheel-offset thing for a while as well. Let us know if you find anything. (I have a 2000 OBW)

I'd be more inclined to exhaust all possible options of high-offset wheels before resorting to spacers...but that's just me.

I'm going a similar route with my car, so high five on that! We can compare notes along the way. ;)

It seems like only a small amount of trial/error has happened with regards tire clearance on the 00-04 OBWs, so it's up to us to try stuff out!

I still got quite a bit of the note to pay off on mine, but they are just starting to the price range people will actually mess with them a lot.

I should probably be looking for the least backspacing as possible, not simply 48+ offset. More backspacing = less room, correct?

I cannot find OEM steel wheels from anyone that are even close to the offset subaru runs (48mm) anyone have any leads on stock steels that have 48+ mm offset. What is the stock backspacing? I can deal with a 10mm drop in offset if the backspace is more than 10mm less...

Edited by lesstutrey

Well Gloyale said 235/65/16 should fit after 2" lift. Would like as fat a tire as possible for offroad... dunno if this is true though. It doesn't exactly fit my tire plans ideal for winter/offroad. Was thinking BFG K/Os, except closest size that fits (or has possibility to) is a 215x70x16, which is 1.2" bigger tire, the 225x70 is about 1.8" over stock. With 215s i've heard you have to run higher air pressure to prevent them from coming off the rim.. but with big wheels i've heard of tend to hit the spring plate. But then i also heard the newer strut hats fit the older models and would allow me another 5" or so of play, which.. well, might make the difference between usability and non-usability.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, just want to be utterly clear about purchasing some aftermarket wheels (or old OEMs from another make). The 2002 OBW has a 48mm offset with a 16x6.5" wheel with 5x100 bolt pattern. If i were to get some steel wheels from another make, what is the lowest offset i could run?

A lower offset (finding lots of +38) allows me more room on the inside, to prevent rub against the strut hat with a fatter taller tire, correct? I also know that's that's only .4". Or am i getting offset backward dropping 10mm of backspace... I've looked at diagrams and think i am getting it... Basically wondering if these 16x6.5 +38 mm offset wheels would fit, if i got the right hubcentric rings, or would they not fit or do i start to cause more cv stress or what?

have you thought about wheel spacers i know they make 1/2 - 2in spacers that bolt between the wheel and the hub to give you more offset ive seen them on ebay

it's more just an issue of if i can run that offset, because they are easy to find, and making sure i'm right about how offset works...

The lower the offset of the wheel, the more it is going to be pushed outward. If your OEM wheels have an offset of +48 than an offset of +38 will push them outward about 7/16" (25mm = 1").

Here is an example: o7t56g.jpg

Both wheels are the same wheels (16x8). The front wheels have an offset of +27 (et52 - 25mm adapter = et27) and the rear wheels have an offset of +2 (et52 - 50mm adapter = et2).

This is my personal experience, hope it helps.

http://www.usacomp.com/terms.htm

To summarize; basically how far the hub is from the "center line" of the wheel. If the hub is past the "center line" you have a negative offset, which pushes the wheel out from the car. If the hub is "before" the "center line" of the wheel, you have a positive offset, which pushes the wheel towards the car

Edited by brysawn

The lower the offset of the wheel, the more it is going to be pushed outward. If your OEM wheels have an offset of +48 than an offset of +38 will push them outward about 7/16" (25mm = 1").

Here is an example: o7t56g.jpg

Both wheels are the same wheels (16x8). The front wheels have an offset of +27 (et52 - 25mm adapter = et27) and the rear wheels have an offset of +2 (et52 - 50mm adapter = et2).

This is my personal experience, hope it helps.

http://www.usacomp.com/terms.htm

To summarize; basically how far the hub is from the "center line" of the wheel. If the hub is past the "center line" you have a negative offset, which pushes the wheel out from the car. If the hub is "before" the "center line" of the wheel, you have a positive offset, which pushes the wheel towards the car

Exactly what i wanted confirmed :) Celica steels seem like a pretty good option then as it will allow me a little more rub room, i would think. Still don't know about tire fit though.

Ok, i'm just still all very unsure about what size tire i'll be able to run with 2" lift... anyone have experience with lifted 2001-2004 OBs? Looking long and hard at tires for winter use, so about 4 months, and then off road use (which will be fairly rare in these flatlands) so this is what i've come up with:

I'm just still all very unsure about what size tire i'll be able to run with lifts... I just want to know what size tire to be looking for...

215x70x16 Lots of options, however smallest tire on my list, only gain an inch, and lose 10mm width

215x75x16 2" over stock, but like no options for tires, only BFG Long Trail and Toyo Open Country G-02 , neither ideal for my application;

225x70x16 Same width as stock, pretty good selection of ATs available ~2" more wheel ;

225x75x16 They are 29.25" so i'm pretty sure they are out of my league for rub room without bashing fenders for fitment, but they do have some great tires available.

235x65x16 Pretty much only snow tires available, ~1.5" over stock.

235x70x16 Seems like 29" or ~2.5" over stock probably has no chance of fitting, but does have great selection of tires.

Edited by lesstutrey