Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New person here... youll either hate me or love me lol

Hi guys! Well, I just crushed a 1983 DL wagon. Dont freak out yet! It had sat for 13 years with all the windows open, and it was wrecked in front. Here is the good part. I saved the entire sub frame with engine and trans... its a 1.8 5 speed...unfortunately it was only 2 wheel drive... oh and all the front suspension came with it. Guess what I am going to do with it? Make a dune buggy! I have access to all the tools and welding equipment I will need. So over the next several months, look to see something wild, I hope. I plan on doing some performance stuff to it as well, maybe even turbo it or add fuel injection. I have video of the engine starting for the first time in 13 years, as well as getting it out of the hole it was in, and also smashing it with a front loader! This car was TOUGH. It took some big hits before it ever crunched. I wish it had been 4 wheel drive I would have saved the whole car. I did save both good tail lights, a headlight bezel, the power mirrors, and switch, and may sell those parts. Any takers?? The mirrors and switch worked fine. Anyway, if any of you have any ideas on making the ignition work with no computer, or performance options, please let me know, I am all ears. I am new to Subarus... or engines as it may be, lol... besides a Brat I had long ago, but never did anything with it..... Anyway I hope I didnt make any of you pass out at the mention of crushing a subby. lol. See yall!

Ann the mechanic chick

Well Felonie I already Like you. Neat project since the eng/transaxle is all in one tight package. You're aware of the old VW and Cit 2Cv that were modified that way. Could proly be built to a square tube type welded frame. Somebody already did it so search the archives here and other places-seems a natural.

So welcome:) and great you saved most the Good stuff.

The mention of the video escaped me not. I just have to get to main subject before this times out. I'm also into tractors somewhat; loader buckets and backhoes and crawlers. Good stuff. The alternate of that are old cps like this one. They can't handle the vids very well. Don't rush on my account, I have no doubt that it was as you described. Just wait till your post is more widely seen here. Better put a cumfy chair next to the keyboard :)

I haven't really helped you in a technical way yet. Having resurrected that engine to running means you know a bunch already. Imprezzamento.

Welcome aboard Ann!!! :banana:

We all hate to see a Subaru go to the crusher, but we all also know that sometimes it just has to be done. Had to haul off my first Suby this past summer as she had some pretty serious rot underneath - was not easy to let her go - she was also a FWD 5 spd, but GL....anyway, i take comfort in knowing that she sort of lives on as quite a few of her parts were outsourced to others in need.

lookin forward to seein what you can do with what you salvaged! :popcorn:

No hate here :brow: Always a pleasure to welcome a noob-being one myself:eek:

Good job harvesting as much as possible before giving Old Faithful a Viking burial. Did the same thing to an 89 Trooper 2 years ago and I have to admit I almost cried! After 150k miles and many modifications it was almost like putting down an aged pet. In contrast, I've had a few cars that it gave me great pleasure to send to the crusher, mostly Fords, never a japanese built vehicle. I was able to save a few parts, the shift knob is in my Mighty Max daily driver, so it lives on in spirit.

Your project sounds awesome! Here's hoping it actually comes to pass, and that you have a ton of fun in the process.

Edited by Natureboy