Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear defrost not working

First of all, check if the defroster is connected in the rear windshield, then check the fuse under the dashboard, drivers side. If neither of these work, you could connect a wire from the connectors in the windshield and mix a 12v socket on the other end and plug it in and if it works, you've got a bad wire somewhere. You could put new wires for it but is it worth the trouble?

Check the actual defroster strips on the window. My wagon does the same thing and i thought it was a bad connection somewhere til i looked at those and noticed every single one of them was broken somewhere. If i ever want rear defroster again i have to get a new back window that still has the strips.

It doesn't come undone so much as makes spotty contact that makes it overheat, melt the connector plastic and burn the the spots that were still making contact. (What this is meant to tell you is that it may look still connected but is not really working.)

Pull off the trim panel on the tailgate. It has been a few years, but IIRC it is held on with the typical plastic plastic push-pins around the bottom and sides. If you haven't worked with these before, it is best to use flat, forked trim tools to pry these out of their holes in the bodywork; a pair of large flat-head screwdrivers, one of either side of the plastic pin, can also work.

The connector should be secured to the latch mechanism, and is identifiable by the wire being taught (and the connector might look a little crispy). IIRC, it is just a single power-wire (moderate gauge).

• 2 weeks later...