Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you do in a time like this!?

first off, '86 ea82T and as im driving my tach is jumping and its defiantly misfiring

ive delt with this happening in previous subarus, and this seems to be no different in symptoms.

but heres the catch.. the distributor has 4 wires going to the coil, and im not sure what other distributors i can use for this. will a 2 wire pickup work in replace of the 4?

In a pinch you could use a two-wire pickup disty but you will lose knock control by doing it. The only thing i know of that you can use for sure is another 85/86 turbo distributor if you want to retain knock control. Alternatively you could switch over to something like an MSD ignition controller with the ability to retard timing under boost - then use the standard two-wire carbed dirty. Or you could swap over to a complete 87+ fuel/ignition system and its associated optical disty. You can have a place like philbin rebuild your current unit with new bushings.....

GD