Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lost Block Pic's

WASHroad

These pictures were in the FAQ, but now are just red squares. I cut up some 2" lift blocks for the front of my EA82. Went from what I remembered looking at the diagram. Qty(4) at 15 degrees, Qty(2) straight, then drilled them up to just over 3/8". Pulled the left hand strut to install, and I couldn't see how the location of the blocks so they will mate up with the strut tower. The straight block goes to the forward hole, but when I was putting the 15 degree blocks on they would hit the center rubber bushing on the top of the strut. So clocking them to look the same didn't seem like it was going to work? I cut the blocks out of 2x2x.250 and almost a dead 1" wide. I was looking for a installed photo or some pointer on how to clock the blocks. Once the blocks are on the struts, is there room to load the strut and then put the new upper bolts in with the strut in place.

I couldn't find a picture, but I believe you want to point your struts in towards your car. Because when you lift it your wheels will point in, so if you pull your struts back in towards the car it will correct your camber. So make sure everything is orientated inwards and you should be good.

Thanks for the tip. I think I will have to trim up my blocks in order to get them to clear the rubber on the center of the strut. I also miss drilled my straight blocks. Should get some time this weekend to shape them up. If you get some spare time head up to LynnHood and check it out. Just on the north side of martha lake..

BINGO** That is the one I had in mind when I fabbed the blocks. They came out nice. I wasn't sure on the index part, but now I think I got it.

Going to hit it agian this weekend, trial and error on best remove strut/lower control arm or whatever to get the strut in and out with the new blocks installed. If it goes together, I'll try and post up a few before and after shots.

BINGO** That is the one I had in mind when I fabbed the blocks. They came out nice. I wasn't sure on the index part, but now I think I got it.

Going to hit it agian this weekend, trial and error on best remove strut/lower control arm or whatever to get the strut in and out with the new blocks installed. If it goes together, I'll try and post up a few before and after shots.

IIRC, I kept the strut connected to the control arm via the ball joint, but removed it where it bolts into the car/frame. Also I just removed everything else, pushed down on the strut and wedged the blocks in.

I have lifted a ton of these this way, your best bet it is to, drop the 3 nuts on the top of the strut and remove the sway bar, stand on the hub and jam all your blocks in from the top of the sturt hole.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94629&highlight=markus56

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102498&highlight=STI-WOLF

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=110538&highlight=greg+lifted

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117662

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101855

There are some links to some of the builds we've done........................

Jeff

Edited by one eye

I would weld in the bolts. It makes installation a lot easier

I've done it both ways and I found its way easier if they are not welded. Trying to strech your control arm and axle and extra 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch is sorta hard on things. Just my 2 cents...........

;)

Jeff

Looks great. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You'd have to be crazy to pay money for this lift. It's as simple as it gets, and the information is so readily available; there's no excuse not to do it yourself.

One question though:

Why in holy hell do you have a Clay Smith "Mr. Horsepower" sticker on the side of a Subaru? I can't even think of two things that don't go together better than that.:D

Looks great. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You'd have to be crazy to pay money for this lift. It's as simple as it gets, and the information is so readily available; there's no excuse not to do it yourself.

One question though:

Why in holy hell do you have a Clay Smith "Mr. Horsepower" sticker on the side of a Subaru? I can't even think of two things that don't go together better than that.:D

Sticker's are the best,, and a cool sticker is always cool,, Look at all the facts:: 1) the wagon is red and it matches :clap: 2) maybe someone will think I have an EJ22 under the hood:headbang: 3) How can you argue with the OME 97 HP'S :D That's all I can say,, but I did only put one on, I have one for the other window and am saving that for went this one goes bad. Thinking I need the "it's a wagon thing" sticker,, next

One question though:

I think all the lifts are actually pretty straight forward to make.

I think you mean why is there a Mr. Horsepower sticker on a EA82. There are quite a few high horsepower EJ's out there :D

I think all the lifts are actually pretty straight forward to make.

I think you mean why is there a Mr. Horsepower sticker on a EA82. There are quite a few high horsepower EJ's out there :D

No, I mean why is there a Clay Smith sticker on a Subaru.

Clay Smith got started pre-WW2. He's gotten into a bit of foreign stuff now, but, They are known and will always be known as a "Big 4" speed parts outfit. I don't care if that car has a EG-33 with 17 huffers on it,and makes 1500 horsepower at the wheels, a Clay Smith sticker is "slightly" out of place. It'd be like me putting a Bow-Wow sticker on my 64 Impala. It just don't jive man. Buy hey, I'm old fashioned; if the car don't have a part from them on it, the sticker doesn't go on it.

And yes, all these lifts are straight forward. This ones especially easy, that was my point. Don't forget where you got all your questions answered about this super straight forward project.:grin:

No, I mean why is there a Clay Smith sticker on a Subaru.

Clay Smith got started pre-WW2. He's gotten into a bit of foreign stuff now, but, They are known and will always be known as a "Big 4" speed parts outfit. I don't care if that car has a EG-33 with 17 huffers on it,and makes 1500 horsepower at the wheels, a Clay Smith sticker is "slightly" out of place. It'd be like me putting a Bow-Wow sticker on my 64 Impala. It just don't jive man. Buy hey, I'm old fashioned; if the car don't have a part from them on it, the sticker doesn't go on it.

And yes, all these lifts are straight forward. This ones especially easy, that was my point. Don't forget where you got all your questions answered about this super straight forward project.:grin:

Well it's like the other sticker, Colonago- that's a bike I have- either parts on the car or something I support can go on the car. Not everyone looks at the cigar band to read "Clay Smith Cams" so I wasn't to worry about it. I do support HP just the GL doesn't have any. Since the last picture I even added a King Cage to the group. There is no stainless steel water bottle holder in the car either, but there is on my bikes. But you are totally correct about getting information here on USMB. Couldn't of done the lift without it, heck for that matter, I even figured out what year of GL I wanted to buy from infor gathered here. This is an great site and I just wanted to help support it, and maybe help someone else out.

Well it's like the other sticker, Colonago- that's a bike I have- either parts on the car or something I support can go on the car. Not everyone looks at the cigar band to read "Clay Smith Cams" so I wasn't to worry about it. I do support HP just the GL doesn't have any. Since the last picture I even added a King Cage to the group. There is no stainless steel water bottle holder in the car either, but there is on my bikes. But you are totally correct about getting information here on USMB. Couldn't of done the lift without it, heck for that matter, I even figured out what year of GL I wanted to buy from infor gathered here. This is an great site and I just wanted to help support it, and maybe help someone else out.

Don't get offended man. I was just messing with ya, and 99.9% of the world has no idea who Clay Smith even is. I do, and it caught me as being funny to see one of their stickers on a Subaru. They made a name for themselves making cams for Big 4 V8s, and V8 powered speedboats. It's old school V8 speed stuff, and I'm big into all that. That's why it caught me as funny. As I said, it'd be kinda like me having a BowWow sticker on an Impala or Camaro. It just isn't something you see every day.

I'm not trying to be the sticker Nazi, and tell you to scrape it off. Just trying to explain WHY it is funny to see it on that car. I'll be the first to admit, it is a great sticker.

Im assuming that those plates are bent at 15* right. The holes are 7/16". Revering to rear lift plates.

Thanks guys goin to build mine in the morning for my girls subi.

Rear straps. 1/4" x 2" flat stock, cut 4" long. Mark 3/4" in on each end to drill holes. I just drilled the holed to match the bolts. Which are 12mm x 30mm.

I heated and bent them at 45 degrees, then you spin the top of the rear strut 180 degrees and bolt them up. That should do it. On the 1/4" flat bar, I bet you could use 1 1/2" wide and be fine.