Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Rear suspension parts 4WD vs 2wd.

Looks like I have found someone with most the stuff I need to swap my FWD/Auto to 4WD stick.

However, there is no need for me to pull things from the 4wd car that I dont really need.

I am planning on pulling the following:

Flywheel

Tranny

Tranny Crossmember

Maybe clutch (may just use a new clutch kit)

Driveshaft

Gas tank

Rear dif

Rear dif hanger

Rear torsionbar assembly.

Can I reuse stuff like my 2wd brake drums and struts? Anything else I DONT need from the 4wd? If the struts bolt up the same just different heights I will just go with my 2wd struts for now.

Edited by aaronxs400

I think there are mounts that hold the rear diff hanger in place, you will need those. The front struts are different they have a hight adjustment on them, but you should be able to use the 2x4 ones for now no problem. The rear shocks should be fine as well. And unless the clutch looks good I would get a new one. Also get the linkages and the shift boot that attaches to the tunnel of the car. I'm trying to think of anything else. I have both a 2x4 and a 4x4 wagon so I'm trying to compare them in my head as it's dark and cold outside now and i don't feel like leaving my heated home :rolleyes:

-SB

again thank you.

yes i had planned on getting those mounts.

I read on here: http://offroadingsubarus.com/83sedan_4wd.html

that his car had the welded capture nuts on the right hand side for the hanger mounts but not on the left...what are the chances I have them on both sides? ALthough welding them is not an issue, I have a tig and mig welder.

OK So i just want to make sure 100 percent that I have this correct: Is this 100% the list of things I need to do this swap?

Flywheel

Tranny

Tranny Crossmember

Clutch

Any console/shifter pieces

Clutch Pedal with brackets and cable

Driveshaft

Gas tank

Rear diff

Rear diff hanger

Rear diff hanger mounts

Rear suspension with torsion bar

Rear axles

rear brake system

Thanks a million guys. Once i get this conversion done maybe ill stop asking so many newb questions

OK So i just want to make sure 100 percent that I have this correct: Is this 100% the list of things I need to do this swap?

Flywheel

Tranny

Tranny Crossmember

Clutch

Any console/shifter pieces

Clutch Pedal with brackets and cable

Driveshaft

Gas tank

Rear diff

Rear diff hanger

Rear diff hanger mounts

Rear suspension with torsion bar

Rear axles

rear brake system

Thanks a million guys. Once i get this conversion done maybe ill stop asking so many newb questions

Hi, you will definately need the rear suspension arms, basically you need to take the entire rear suspension with crossmember, swing arms, axles and brakes. its easiest to remove it all intact , just unbolt the entire crossmember assembly from the body along with the rear diff hanger bar and outer mounts, leave all the axles, diff and brakes all intact. this way it's just the big crossmember/ body bolts, the 4 rear hanger bolts, the brake lines at the body, its out.