Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Loyale EA82 Tensioner Pulley Siezed

Luckily I smelled and spotted the frozen pulley in time, but on my Subaru, there are 2 belts (both for accessory I assume) The front one (furthest from firewall) that wraps most of the entire accessory side, and the back one, the back one is the one in question (closer to firewall) the adjustable pulley for belt tightness froze, because the bearings blue'd. The only problem is that it has started snowing and my other car hates the snow and my loyale loves it! So If I were to remove the back v-belt, what would I be eliminating until I were to fix it? On top of that, what is the preferred method of fixing a tensioner pulley with frozen bearings? Re-pack it? or buy another complete pulley?

Thanks,

-BHawk

Also, I have a funny question, I have a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD that had brand new struts/springs put into it before it was wrecked, leaving the shock assemblies unharmed (thankfully) But my Subie suspension is a little 'lack-luster' does anyone from experience know if any parts of a 1ga DSM's suspension would fit onto a 1992 Loyale EA82? because I will just have to scrap it if it doesn't fit...

Thanks,

-BHawk

You cannot repack the bearing-as it is a sealed unit.... ie get a good used- or better yet BUY A NEW PULLEY KIT (about $189.00)and replace them all- if one is frozen:burnout: the others are not far behind- and replace the timing belts at the same time- and you will not have to f--k with that part of the engine for a LONG TIME. And NO THE TALLON will not fit-sorry-GOOD LUCK- if you need to ask a human call me at (541)-977-2803 ask for Charles.

thanks for the advice, however I was able to completely take apart the bearing down to the balls, and tracks just by removing the bolt, so I don't believe it is a true sealed bearing, I will look for that pulley kit right now, and in the meantime, I will look to a local hardware or autoparts store for another bearing to pack in, or another assembly. Now the question is,

Will it run/drive without the rear accessory belt attached?

Previous poster probably thought that you were talking about timing-belt idlers/tensioners rather than accessory drive. I am guessing that you have air conditioning, as the only belt tensioner that I have seen is for the AC compressor; if this is so, then you can do without it, though power steering might cause the remaining belt to squeal at times.

I took a quick look through the "similar threads" listed at the bottom of the webpage, plus did a quick search on AC tensioner bearings; I did not find a number, but it does indicate that you can look at the bearings lip and it should give you a number (e.g. 204 or 205 or similar), and these are common bearings at places like NAPA.

Check out :

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71973&highlight=tensioner+pulley+bearing

I would go read the number or a spare one of mine, but iwe have 8-10 inches of snow covering everything and I might freeze before I remember where I set it. :lol: