Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking for help from the suby masterminds

pinksock

Hey guys got a question for u. I own an 85 GL wagon with the ej22 in it, my buddy who owns a suby dealership just gave me some little headers for the ej motor that came off a jap version suby. So my question is, i want to put custom true dual exhaust on it n still not throw any codes n have her run right. So is it possible to splice together the wiring from two cats (which I have) so the motor runs right. Let me just add I'm a welded by trade, work in a huge shop where I have access to any tool I need, so I'm open to any suggestions to make this work. I don't know if I'm even thinking about this the right way. I'll b making the exhaust completely from scratch all the way down to my own mufflers. But any way, suggestions on how to run 2 cats successfully? Oh p.s. live in Idaho we have emission laws so it has to have cats or I can't register it every year.

thanks ;)

This was an OBD I EJ22, right?

Cats won't be effected at all. Just put one in each side, done.

Put the 02 sensor in one side or the other, and it'll run pretty well. it'll only read the A/F from 2 cylinders, so you'll have to assume the other 2 are running close enough.

"Run right"? depends on your definition. I have heard (and it makes sense in theory) that a boxer really needs the scavenging of having both sides connected to run at it's best. Since both cylinders on one bank fire, and then the other bank. By splitting them up into 2 separate systems, the temperature fluctuates too much, and the velocity of the exhaust gases drops.

Here's an idea I was planning on running on my wagon. Keep the measurements from the header flanges to the crossover exactly the same as the borla header, and then open it immediately back up to 2 pipes and continue on to 2 decent mufflers.

concept-1.jpg