Ultimate Subaru Message Board

strange thing happened to me

i was driving down on the high way and all of sudden a grinding sound, and rpm racing up i pull over and looked over thought it was cv joint the pin that goes into the transaxel fell out of something HUMM.. nothing wrong so tried it it wouldnt move.. i was thinking oh ************ hope its not the clutch that went out ..

tried the 4 wheel drive put her in 4h. drove fine no noises

proceeded to head to the cabin and check it out what the hell it was about

it turned out that the previous owner did not tighten the hub nut enough and i checked the other side and it looked snug and nice and then on the drivers side the washer was loose i had to use pipe wrench and tighten it up and its fixed . the cotter pin on that driver side was gone so i didnt have anything to lock it in place so i got a bit creative.. i used 4 inch wood nail and i put it in and locked it problem solved til tomorrow so i can go out and get new cotter pin.

that was my plan to check it out the previous owner changed the cv joint drive line straight from junkyard and slapped it in there .. so i'm hoping it is not that bad and if it is ill put on new bearings and two new cv joint drive line so i don't have to worry about it the hub nut was two turns loose so i tightened it back noise is gone no more grinding i didn't drive the car while it was grinding i just put it in neutral and coasted then put it in 4wd noise gone no grinding just limped back home. nothing beats a subaru. it will keep going even if its half broken