Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks to All here on the board who have given their advice and expertise. I replaced the head gasket and idlers/water pump/ timing belt/and valve shims and tonight after 3 weeks came the moment of truth:

At 9:00 I get the kids up and they come out to the garage to see if Dad's obsession is actually going to run and after dry motoring for a few seconds I hook up the ignition and away she goes! :banana:It ran great. Quiet and smooth!

Everything seems to be hooked back up ok, the only mystery is the loss of AC. The clutch never engages. The compressor was left hooked up and out of the way but it wasn't completely upright. I don't know if a hose got kinked, but I never heard the refrigeant escape. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks again guys.

Well I certainly didn't help you. I only stand aside, am glad it worked so well.

Your kids will remember this 4 longer than we. Fine work.:grin: Insofar the propellant leak, I will remain mum as there are those who know excactly where this would occur. When I was doing mine, just before finding this board, I was told to just cut the lines. I didn't either. Largely because reading here.

Edited by Fuzpile

good job getting it up and running, that's great.

as to the A/C, leaks are generally accompanied by wetness as the oil escapes too.

pull both caps off and see if the valve stems are wet. if so replace those or tighten them. might just want to replace them anyway while the system is low.

most common leakage point i've seen is the fittings where the a/c lines bolt the compressor. those commonly leak (makes sense given their proximity to engine temp changes, vibrations, etc)...and you just twisted/strained those connections on the engine work. it's only one bolt and they're really easy to get too. unbolt the lines and look for any signs of wetness extending beyond the oring area. That's a sure sign it's leaking. Replace the oring. Bolt it back together.

both of those jobs are easy to do quick and no need IMO to pull a vacuum on it. do them quick and recharge and you're good to go.

of course it could be something more ominous to track down with sniffers, etc.