Ultimate Subaru Message Board

reach of the EJ25 head gasket issues

I got baptized by fire last summer when I bought a 98 OBW that had an impressive list of recent repairs (incl. new HG's). Long story short, despite the quality of repair, toasted main bearings snuck up about 500 miles after I got the keys. Rather than get another EJ25, I opted for the 2.2 swap. I did it myself and low and behold, I fell in love with the car and its new simplicity and the reliability reputation of the EJ22 ...its since been all over the country and the car is doing awesome.

SO... I'm in the market for another Subie to add to the family. I'm thinking a bit newer this go around. For some reason, I'm leaning towards an '02-ish Forester or Impreza (non-WRX). I'm curious if any of the overheat issues ...blown head gaskets... are much of a problem outside of the infamous early Outbacks?

Thanks

...and I still have a pair of 98 EJ22 heads in AWESOME condition.

tricky question. the headgasket issue is prevalent into very new subaru's beyond 2005 even. the frequency is fewer thus far and they actually fail in a complete different way. they leak externally and DO NOT overheat...well until you run them out of coolant. they usually leaky coolant but ocassionally it's just oil or both. they can run a really long time like that though - like 100,000 miles if you keep them from running out of fluid.

newer EJ25's require a Subaru coolant additive. anyone I buy I'd flush the coolant and put one bottle of conditioner in first thing.

it's not like the older EJ25D's you had in the 98OBW where they can overheat instantly and randomly and you're stranded. i have a 2002 Forester in my driveway....new headgaskets....motor is blown.

02's were NOT covered by the extended HG warranty like the 00 and 01's appear to have been. Just had a friend with an 02 GT and 78k that the HG's are starting to leak. Called the dealer I deal with - not covered.
did they say it was because of date? i think there's also a time limit on that too, not just mileage - like 8 years or 10 years? is that from manufacture date or sale date? and also sometimes different models get different motors so while a 02 GT might not qualify, an 02 L or Forester might.

GG - I gave the dealer the vin. This is the second 02 GT that this has happened to a friend.

They just now stopped to pick up the 2 bottles of conditioner I had left on the porch for them.

Looking on Ebay importexperts vs misumuto?. The green bearing seals on the idlers I know are GMB which I've been happy with. Don't know what those red bearing seals are and manufacturer isn't mentioned on the Ebay page for muzimoto. EIther way I won't use the timing belt that comes. Or the seals.

So I'm likely to continue with theimportexperts since I have used lots of their kits without issue.

Then dealer for HG's seals, WP gasket as usual.

Gonna have to have someone else do this for them but I'll round up the parts.

So I may have a new timing belt available for cheap. Probably MitsubOshi IIR - they claim they are the OEM supplier.

speaking of that warranty, never seen the 99's listed in the recall but they have the first SOHC EJ25's in the foresters and RS.

i have an 02 forester in the driveway now trying to help the guy out (i asked you about motor parts). i put a new belt on it before so not sure if it'll need another or not but i could possibly use the belt.

speaking of that warranty, never seen the 99's listed in the recall but they have the first SOHC EJ25's in the foresters and RS.

i have an 02 forester in the driveway now trying to help the guy out (i asked you about motor parts). i put a new belt on it before so not sure if it'll need another or not but i could possibly use the belt.

GG if we do something on the timing belt and you're still looking for idlers let me know. I can dig through my pile and find some of the better ones.

I don't believe i have an extra cogged one right now. Let me know ASAP if you'd like a new one and I'll order a "custom" kit on monday and add it.